Any good FM tuners around for less than $200?

There is not much discussion of tuners these days - who still listens to radio unless it is over the Internet?? lol I imagine there are still some folks that like the radio, and hopefully some of them are here on Audiogon.

I would like to add a decent - not top of the line, obviously, given my budget - FM tuner to my 2-channel system. I am rather overwhelmed by the info on the FM Tuner Information site - I don't understand a lot of it, and many of the tuners they review and like are seldom available for sale these days. I just want a good sounding, not too expensive tuner that will 'satisfy' my occasional radio listening needs! The stations I listen to - mostly via car radio - are local and primarily public (no ads) radio stations, though I do listen to some classic rock stations as well.

A tube tuner would be nice, but possibly more than I can spend, especially if it needs tube replacement, alignment and that sort of thing. Solid state will do, obviously. So, Fisher? Rotel? Marantz? Something totally different?

I do not currently have an outdoor antenna, but that is something I hope to get in the future - one that can be mounted on the exterior wall as opposed to the roof

What tuners would you recommend that I put on my short list?

Holly
oakiris

Showing 2 responses by mapman

A lot of vintage audio gear commonly available cheap and used today had decent tuners. Pioneer, Kenwood, Sansui, Hitachi, Yamaha, Nakamichi are just a few that come to mind. Even if not a pure tuner, a pre-amp out connection on the back is all that is needed to use a receiver as a tuner only if needed.

Tandbergs tended to have very good tuners. Any Tandberg that comes up in good working order and usable as a tuner for under $200, jump on it.

I have a fairly new Sangean table radio and a clock radio. Both have excellent tuners, especially the table radio. One of the most sensitive tuners I have ever owned (along with Tandberg).

Sangean has a good focus on tuner technology, which is an afterthought for most modern sources.

I'd look for something like this maybe if it is still available

Sangean Tuner
YEs, forgot Nikko, one of the other vintage lines with very good tuners. Very popular at Tech Hifi back then.