Any fellow VAC Phi 220 owners out there? Thoughts?

I am absolutely thrilled with my VAC Phi 220 monoblocks and was just wondering if any other Phi owners out here share my enthusiasm? These are the best sounding (by far) power amplifiers I have ever heard in my system, and I think one of the best amplifiers I have heard period.

The Phi 220s really do it all with my Vandy 5As, but the midrange and treble reproduction are a cut above any other amplifier I've had in my system. It is the first time I feel like I'm listening to pure music and not an audio system. It's emotional, engaging, and just sounds "right". The 5As simply disappear like never before and are extremely capable of revealing just how good the 220s are.

Sorry if I'm "over the top" with my comments on these, but VAC nailed it with these amps!

Vandertseen Model 5A- Bird's Eye Maple
VAC Phi 220 monoblock amplifiers
EMM Labs DCC2 DAC/preamp
EMM Labs CDSD- SACD/CD transport
Audioquest Sky 72V DBS XLR interconnects
Audioquest Kilimanjaro 72V shotgun biwire speaker cables
Silent Source AC power cords
Custom Power Cord Co. Model 11 Plus for 5A subs
BPT 3.5 Signature Plus balanced line conditioner
Critical Mass Systems platforms for EMM and BPT
Sistrum SP-101 platforms for VAC Phi 220s
fsarc

Showing 1 response by hifimaniac

Fsarc. I own the PHI 220's and the PHI Master control 2.0 preamp. Kevin told me it would take around 200 hours to break in, so I gave it some time. However, during that 200 hour wait I cryoed my cabling and put it back in the system. The VAC never sounded as good as it had at my friend who owned the 110. I couldn't figure it out, it was aggressive, lacked bass information. Well, long story short, my friend and I swapped out my cabling and WOW! everything you say came true! I finally heard the incredilby musical sound I had heard at my friend's house. I was so thankful that no one bought them from me on audiogon as I had them listed for a month. I later found out from the manufacturer (Sonoran cables) that my cabling was destroyed during the cryo process, which by the way, isn't common, and that was why I couldn't hear the quality of the sound. It was so bad sounding, I repurchased my entire Krell system that I sold as I missed it. I will probably put all the Krell back up for sale as you described it right, the VAC is so engaging and gives you the performance in the room versus a good reproduction of a recording like so many other systems. I agree, this is the best tube equipment I have EVER listened to and I have listened to all the best like Audio Research, Manley, VTL, BAT (Bad Amplification Tubes), Jadis, and Kevin Hayes is by far the best designer of musical, engaging tube equipment out there. Someone needs to get a pair for review and get the word out. I hope many read your thread.
Mark