Any comments on DAC going direct to power amplifier or to pre-ampliifer?

My local retailer HIGHLY RECOMMENDS the use of a pre-amplifier.  Bricasti believes that going direct to a power amplifier sounds better.  And, I also know that everyone had a "different opinion" about going direct or using a pre-amplifier.  

I am running my Bricast1 M1 SE DAC direct to my Hypex NCore NC400 Bridged Mono Block class D power amplifiers (no pre-amplifier) and like the sound quality very much.   

For me, the sound is more natural and clearer by going direct to a power amplifier. Of course, I think the M1 SE DAC has special “custom" circuits in the analog section to make it sound so good. I returned home and listened to my system.  It sounds terrific and I continue to enjoy and recommend the Bricasti M1 SE DAC.

Please note that we removed the R141 (circuit) from my Hypex NCore NC400 bridged mono blocks, thus lowering amplifier gain by 14 dB, requiring 14 dB higher M1 volume setting for same playback level.  Bricasti says the goal is to have the M1 CLOSE to 0db front panel attenuation.  If you reduce the volume on the M1 SE DAC, you cause more bit reduction meaning you lose sound quality.   We discussed this modification with Hypex and they approved the removal of the R141 circuit.  They suggested we be very careful removing the 4 R141 chips (for my 4 NC400 amplifiers) to avoid board damage.  

I noticed that many of the newer DAC’s (even the new Ayre QX-5 Twenty DAC and many others) have volume controls meaning their DAC/Pre-amplifiers are designed to go direct to a power amplifier (as an option, of course).  

What are your experiences of going direct to a power amplifier or using a pre-amplifier?  Have you compared going direct vs. going to a pre-amplfier and noticed any sound quality differences?  Have you gotten different results from using different DAC's and amplifiers?   Your comments are appreciated.  Thanks.

hgeifman
I own the PS Audio Perfectwave MKII DAC and it definitely sounds better going direct to the power amplifier instead of a going through a preamp.
If that can help,I have owned and tried two combinations. First, Burmester 001 cd and 011 preamp, for my taste it was quite obvious that it was better with preamp. My latest combination is DCS Puccini, with clock and still I like it better with ARC Ref 3 preamp, than directly. One could argue that sound without preamp is more ’vivid’, perhaps, but is lacking in size and depth of presentation, inmho.
From my experience a Tube Pre-amp is crucial if you want a musical sounding system. With most of my personal experiences with multiple DACs directly to SS and Tube Amps never sounded good enough.

The Musical Bella Pre-Amp with Tube Regulator Power Supply is an excellent example of a low cost pre-amp which can step up to the large boys. Its a simple yet robust circuit. Tube Power supply just gives you that more magical sound.

The SS pre-amps could work too but I hardly ever found one i liked. They just lack that feel of listening to music with a emotional touch.

EQ is something I would not recommend. Even in Studio Room setups I have been involved with Roger Quested. Both in UK, EU and Asia. We never EQ the system. Roger was always against it and advised to stay away from EQ as it will introduce more distortion into the system.

Hans Zimmer personal studio and production rooms were all setup by Roger. Non of them required EQ of any types and we are talking about 5.1 Systems. I hardly think you need to EQ a 2 channel setup as long as you focus some attention to the room it self.

Personally i have built a 24 and 16 channel room both with out a single ounce of EQ in the room. Some say it cant be done but sure it can the problem lies in how people setup the acoustical properties of the room. We did not even need to EQ 4 Large subwoofers. Phase shifts were corrected between the subwoofers and that’s about it.

My advise is to get your self a decent tube pre-amp.

If you want a better impedance match if you have a problem, this sorts it out without the need of an active preamp (tube or s/s) and their unnecessary amount of gain and colourations.
It’s a discrete impedance matching active buffer incorporated within the interconnects, and has just a little gain, far less than an active preamp would have. RCA to RCA $149aud, that's around $100usd 
https://www.bursonaudio.com/products/cable-plus-a2r/

Cheers George