Any benefits playing SACD's on Standard CD Player?

With my recent purchase and assessment of a Krell KAV-400xi Integrated Amplifier, I am finding that the addition of this new component can yield some drastic differences in the presentation of my selected music.

On more recently recorded CD's, the sound is full and detailed with an amazing soundstage. I am blown away by what I am hearing.

But...

On some of my Classic Rock CD's, which were recorded some 30 years ago, I am finding the Krell's presentation to be lean...lacking emphasis on the lower frequencies (and bass). IE...Aerosmith, Grateful Dead.

With my Marantz CD-17 (standard player), would I notice any benefit in purchasing some of these older recorded CD's on SACD Format?
oak3x

Showing 1 response by theo192

A DSD remaster such as 'Let it Bleed', originally released on SACD, is available as redbook only CD and sounds much better than earlier issues. It's no match for the actual sacd in air, etc but very good in bass weight and texture.

The krell 400xi is extremely neutral and extended. If you want to fill out the bottom a bit on older recordings, I recommend leaving the krell and speakers alone (keep that bandwidth!), and consider upgrading to a better (possibly tubed) digital source, especially one with user selectable treble filters. Choosing one with a steep slope roll-off may enable you to goose the volume on the 400xi when listening to the leaner recordings in order to fill out the bottom without becoming to bright in the process.