Anti-skating- test records vs. ears

I've been experimenting with anti skating recently. I know the conventional recommendation is to set the anti skate to the same setting as VTF. I track at 1.8 gr.

I hav several test records. I first had a Shure V15 type 3 then later owned a V15 type 5 ( still regret selling the type 3) so I have 2 Shure test records. I also own the HiFi News and Record Reviews test record. My test records tell be that my anti skating should be set at about 2, certainly not less. However, my ears tell me 1.5 is plenty and beyond that I loose something- call it sparkle, air, extension or whatever. I went with my ears

Anyone experience something similar?
128x128zavato

Showing 2 responses by ct0517

It is possible to use a bit of Anti-Skate on a VPI tonearm by twisting rotating the arm wire at its connection

There is a bit of Antiskate with no twist. Even one twist results in significant AS.

The best results I got with the VPI tonearm was with no wire twist and platter / armboard as level as possible.
The wire setup as an upside down U fashion results in a push outward - its just physics.
I have seen setups where the wire was visibly twisted. Based on my experiences this indicates that something may be out of level and the person is compensating with more or less twist.

Cheers
Stringreen ...I can tell you that it works better without. I don't care if you or anyone else uses a/s...I can tell you that I don't.

the reason I don't use anti-skate is because it sounds better with none...that and that alone is the reason

Your VPI tonearm generates antiskate.
I have owned two VPI tonearms in the past and they both applied AS through the wire design.
You don't need to take my word on it. Read your VPI tonearm manual.
Taken from the manual.

As mentioned earlier, the arm wire applies the anti-skating force. The degree of force applied
can be adjusted as explained below.
To increase or decrease the amount of anti-skating force applied, simply unplug the Lemo
connector and twist it in the direction you want the force applied.
For example, to increase anti-skating force give the connector a counterclockwise twist,
unwinding the coiled wire. Likewise, to decrease the force, give the connector a clockwise
twist. Remember, the Lemo connector can only be "adjusted" in increments of whole turns.
If it is not, its key will not line up with the groove in the receptacle.