Anthem STR or Lyngdorf TDAI 2170?

I recently moved house and went from a listening space that was pretty generous to my current setup (Cronus Magnum II + B&W 805D3s) to one where the soundstage sounds really flat and underwhelming. Because we watch a lot of movies, I’ve also been running an integrated (Rotel 1592) and using a splitter to switch between that and the Cronus depending on the source (music or movies).

It’s a lot of equipment and wires for a small space and, given how lackluster the sound is, I want to consolidate everything by leveling up to an integrated with room correction.

I’m stuck between an Anthem STR or a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 (or 3400 if it’s leaps and bounds better than both).

Reviews and comments on both are equally impressive. Has anyone sampled both and have a POV on which I should go with?
jwh2

Showing 6 responses by caphill

@jwh2

First if all, using splitter is not advisable and will degrade the sound quite a bit. Second of all, in general B&W does not pair well with a small powered tube integrated amp such as the Rogue Cronos ii cause your Cronos ii isn’t able to provide enough juice and your B&W need to be pushed and will need more power than your Cronos ii can provide in order to shine. Unless if it’s a high powered tube amp.

For your B&W 805 D3, I highly recommend the Naim Uniti Nova integrated, which is basically a digital streamer/DAC/integrated amp put in a single chassis. Retails for $7500 new. Has built-in Tidal streaming app. The Naim Uniti Nova is a single box solution and is highly musical sounding and will pair really well with your B&W 805 D3. I had the Nova paired with the B&W 805 D3 in my bedroom setup before and today I still have the Naim Uniti Nova but has traded in the 805 D3 for the Sonus Faber Olympica l bookshelf speakers.

The Naim Uniti Nova has lots of inputs : Ethernet, USB, XLR & RCA analog, DIN, coax digital, optical digital, HDMI.
It is an outstanding piece and the sound is very musical very refined very fluid and analog like and it paired really well with the B&W 805 D3. Do not get fooled by its power rating of only 80 wpc @ 8 ohms, the Nova is capable of handling low impedance loads. Eventhough it’s rated only at 80 wpc @ 8 ohms but it is a brute force and a very good clean quality current. The quality of the current that matters not the wattage. It uses a big oversized toroidal transformer linear power supply. Highly recommended!
The Naim Uniti Nova will sound better and more musical and more fluid and analog than the Anthem STR or the Lyngdorf. The Anthem & Lyngdorf have more powerful amplifications but overall the Naim is better more musical.

The Naim Uniti Nova has better digital streamer/DAC than the Anthem or the Lyngdorf. Naim is very well known for designing and making a digital music streamer/DAC. The only advantages that the Anthem STR & the Lyngdorf have is room correction.

@jwh2

You should invest in acoustical treatments and make effort in getting speaker placements right and spot on.
I have the Naim Uniti Nova in my bedroom with satisfying results and I know this is not my main reference setup it’s only my bedroom setup. I’m pretty sure your living room is more spacious than my bedroom. I always go with standmount (bookshelf) speakers for my bedroom and I invested in acoustical treatments.

Don’t get me wrong, I love Lyngdorf products especially with its Room Perfect room correction. I myself have a Lyngdorf MP-50 surround processor in my dedicated theater room, but this is a dedicated home theater surround setup (7.2.6) and used strictly strictly for home theater (surrounds). For surrounds or home theater setup IMO room correction is a must and especially effective in equing your subs and other magic tricks. I found the Room Perfect built in my Lyngdorf MP-50 ht processor very effective and works very well.

However. for stereo setup for 2ch music playbacks I’m not a fan of room correction. I have two separate main reference stereo setups/systems in my main dedicated two-channel listening rooms, which are in separate rooms from my dedicated theater room, that are completely analog setups. I’m using all analog linestage preamps with turntables + phonostage pre as well as external digital front end source components. My Naim Statement NAC S1 linestage preamp that I have in one of my main reference stereo setup is a pure analog linestage preamp (no digital circuitry or room correction). It has only analog audio circuitry and this is a cost-no-object or price-no-object design preamp. I have a pair of big Magico M6 speakers in this setup or room driven by a pair of Naim Statement NAP S1 monoblock amps and the performance, musicality are all top notch. I invested heavily in room treatments and actually all my main dedicated listening rooms were designed from the ground up and specifically built for dedicated listening room. Eventhough I have to admit that my main reference listening rooms are very huge, that’s why I can afford to have those big Magico M6 speakers in it. And speaker placements are paramount and I made special efforts in getting the speaker placements right and so that the interaction between speakers and my listening room is spot on. I achieved outstanding results without room correction and is easily one of the best sounding setup I’ve ever heard.

In my other main reference setup, which is in a separate different dedicated listening room, I also have all analog setup, no room correction correction. This is also another large dedicated well treated listening room and I have a pair of big Sonus Faber Aida ll speakers in this room and I am able to achieve perfect excellent result without room correction. But again this is also a very very large or I should say huge dedicated listening room and is very well treated. I invested heavily in using room treatments. My Audio Research Reference 10 linestage preamp that I have in this setup is also a pure analog preamp. I also made great deal amount of efforts in getting the speaker placements right and spot on in this listening room.
@audiotroy  

So, the Micromega M150 offers superior sound quality and musicality than the Naim Uniti Nova? What about the Micromega M100? 
But I bet the Micromega M150 integrated won't be able to compete with the Naim 500 series separates stacks with all separate power supply units for each component? 
@audiotroy

Yes the Naim Statement preamp & monoblock amps are extraordinary, the absolute best I’ve heard and owned period. Well, the Naim Statement preamp & monoblock amps are cost-no-object or price-no-object design products and took 10 years in the making and therefore are expected to perform extraordinary. I paired them with the big Magico M6 speakers and achieved absolutely excellent result.

But for my digital front end source components I’m not using the Naim 500 series NDX digital streamer/DAC + 500 series external PSU though. I’m using a fully loaded MSB Select ll DAC with its Femto 33 clock and two mono powerbases or two mono separate power supply units, one feeding power to its digital side of it and the other one feeding power for its analog output stage. The MSB Select ll DAC comes with a music renderer or streamer. And recently I just added the matching MSB Select transport with its separate Reference power supply unit. The fully loaded MSB Select ll DAC w/ Femto 33 clock & 2 mono separate power supply units is by far the best sounding digital front end components I’ve ever heard and owned. The sound was highly musical very smooth very refined resolved fluid and the most musically engaging and involving and this is literally the most analog sounding digital front end source components. It rivals the best of the best turntables and reel-to-reel master audio tape machines. It did not sound like anything being digitally reproduced at all. Lot of times I completely forgot that I was actually listening to digital music or digital front end source components. The music did not sound reproduced at all. the music had a level of absolute fluidity that I’ve never heard coming from digital front end source components. If you get a chance you should have a listen to it.

But of course I prefer my Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable with its Statement TT tonearm & Statement Goldfinger cartridge paired with D’Agostino Momentum phonostage pre that I have in the same setup. Musically not a single uber high end digital front end source components or other high end turntable setups can match this Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable setup. And by far the D’Agostino Momentum phonostage pre is my best favorite phonostage pre.

I had a chance to listen to the same Naim Statement preamp and amps paired with those giant Focal Utopia Grande before and was amazing but I preferred my Naim Statement/Magico M6 pairing better.
The Naim Statement/Focal Utopia Grande setup that I listened to had a Naim 500 series NDX digital streamer/DAC + 500 series external PSU served as digital front end components, which is Naim’s flagship digital streamer/DAC to date.
I wonder why Naim doesn’t make Statement digital streamer/DAC or digital front end to match its Statement NAC S1 linestage analog preamp and Statement NAP S1 monoblock amps.

Audiotroy, just curious, how would the Micromega M-100 compare to Naim Uniti Nova sonically and overall musicality?
Which one is better especially for the OP’s B&W 805 D3 speakers?

I don’t understand why some people heavily rely or depend on room correction for a simple stereo (two-channel) setup for listening to music. For home theater surround setups & systems YES room correction is a MUST. Can’t live without it.
@audiotroy  

As far as isolation and rack/furniture I'm using HRS for my MSB stacks (including the Select transport) and my D'Agostino Momentum phonostage pre. My Naim Statement preamp & amps are standing towers. And my Clearaudio Statement v2 turntable is on its own turntable stand. 
I'm using Shunyata Research Typhon QR / Triton combo power products.