Anthem STR or Lyngdorf TDAI 2170?

I recently moved house and went from a listening space that was pretty generous to my current setup (Cronus Magnum II + B&W 805D3s) to one where the soundstage sounds really flat and underwhelming. Because we watch a lot of movies, I’ve also been running an integrated (Rotel 1592) and using a splitter to switch between that and the Cronus depending on the source (music or movies).

It’s a lot of equipment and wires for a small space and, given how lackluster the sound is, I want to consolidate everything by leveling up to an integrated with room correction.

I’m stuck between an Anthem STR or a Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 (or 3400 if it’s leaps and bounds better than both).

Reviews and comments on both are equally impressive. Has anyone sampled both and have a POV on which I should go with?
jwh2

Showing 4 responses by audiotroy

Caphill,  we heard the Naim Statement amps and preamp at Axpona with the Focal Grande Utopia EVO III and the sound was freaking amazing.
OP we just found this review on the Micromega:

This review sums up the product perfectly:

It wasn’t just the richness and depth of the bass, but the incredible level of detail—such as hearing the sound of the pick hitting the strings just before I heard the note of the string itself, not to mention the lovely high-frequency response: sweet, airy, extended… and more gorgeous than I’ve ever heard it sound on CD. After seriously surprising myself that I was so happy with the M-100’s performance with black vinyl, I then slowly worked through listening to all its digital inputs, a process which necessarily including evaluating everything from various streaming services right up to the latest high-res formats, and found that the longer I listened to the M-100, and the more inputs I evaluated, the more impressed I became by its performance: This is one seriously cool component! (Well not totally cool, the case could become warm despite the fan… which I could hear up close when no music was playing, but not from my listening position, and never when the music was playing.) And speaking of streaming, that process seemed to continue even when I switched to listen to a different input, so make sure you stop it when you’re not listening if you don’t want to consume bandwidth.

Listening to Takatukas’ ‘Red Blood’, which seemed appropriate given the M-100’s heritage, the M-100 delivered the wild roller-coaster-ride of sound for which the band is famous, from the trademark machine-gun drumming of Bruno Mellier to the screaming, almost ear-piercing lead guitar shredding of Gerald Ozga. It kicks in from the opener Paranoiaque/hypochondriaque and keeps the excitement through all 15 tracks to Ras Kouyon. The slam and tone of Nicolas Vitry’s bass is a constant delight as well.

I was able to confirm that the M-100’s performance was totally consistent across all the inputs using my library of cuts that are identical except for format, many of which are sourced from Soundkeeper Recordings. The M-100 delivered consistently silent backgrounds, extraordinary dynamics and excelled at maintaining ruthlessly accurate tonality irrespective of music genre.

Conclusion

As ‘all in one’ components become increasingly common, manufacturers are pulling out all the stops to make sure their products stand out. Micromega has pulled out so many stops building the M-100 that you have to peer upwards to see it (literally, if you wall-mount it). Brilliantly designed, lovely-sounding, able to be optioned-up and/or upgraded and, thanks to the MCF customisation on offer, it can be as beautiful as your heart’s desire. Magnifique! # Jules Larkin

https://www.avhub.com.au/product-reviews/hi-fi/micromega-m-100-amplifier-review-test-512349
Dave and TroyAudio Doctor NJ Micromega, Naim, NAD dealers

OP we sell many high end integrated amplifiers some with room correction and others which do not.
We have been designing high end systems for over 30 years.
Room correction is not a panacea, yes it can help improve a room, but a boring, or strident sounding system that doesn’t sound right is not going to magically transform just because you have DSP room correction.
The first part is to find a match between the electronics and the loudspeakers.
As an aside, most of the best sounding systems at Axpona, did not use any room correction and some rooms did not have any room treatment as all.

Step One: get the match between the components correct

Step Two: tune the room via proper loudspeaker positioning, and if room tuning panels aren’t possible a judicious use of natural acoustical tunning devices, furniture, books, rugs, pillows etc.

Step Three: Then if DSP is available then use it to then maximize the systems response.
The Anthem STR is a good sounding integrated the Naim is much more magical sounding.

We have heard the Lyngdorf and they use a digital amplifier which is very similar to to the Digital amplifier stage in the NAD M32 which means a clean but dry sound.
Our favorite integrated amplifier with Room correction is the Micromega M100 or M150 which use a pure class A/B amplfier, a state of the art Dac, phono stage, a headphone amp and it looks stunning.
https://micromega.com/en/category/news/
The Micromega sounds like the Naim, warm, punchy, and is totally involving so you can have your cake and eat it too if you know where to look.

Dave and Troy Audio Doctor NJ Micromega, Naim, Nad dealers
Caphill,  we would agree with you before, but the new Grande Utopia EVO III are far better than the older versions, and in our opinion far more magical and more musical than the the M6.
We have a digital front end that we think is on par with yours which is the Light Harmonic Davinci, running DSD 512 as good as any vinyl front end we have heard.
The setup at Axpona was all Naim Statement with the new NDS II with the new Focal Grande Utopia Evo III.
A few years ago, in Brooklyn NY, there was a showing of the older Focal Grande Utopia but these were not the newer EVO series, were also setup wit the Naim Statement gear, and the sound was good but not anywhere in the same realm not even close. So there must be some real magic in the new EVO III which for the first time really disappeared and the tonality was stunning. You should really check out a set.
Also you can get far better sound much more like analog by adding an Innous Statement to your MSB stack. We have done numerous tests on running a server to a streamer vs the streamer running direct, in every demo the server even streaming the very same signal  does not come close to what happens when you have a server providing a greater cleaned up pristine data packet to the dac.

Love to talk with you further about your setup, we have tested many power conditioners, and vibration isolation devices.

The OP should get the Micromega M150 which offers much of the superb sound quality of the Naim and includes Room Correction as well.
Dave and TroyAudio Doctor NJ
The sound quality of the M150 is not superior to the Naim Nova, but in the same class with a different feature set.

The Naim NAC 272/DR 250 sounds better, and the Naim NAC 282/DR 300 combo sounds even better.

So unfortunately you still get what you pay for. the Micromega M100 and M150 are fabulous all in one integrated amplifiers for their price range.

Dave and Troy
Audio Doctor NJ Micromega and Naim dealers