Anthem I225 upgrade

So I’ve got an Anthem I225 and recently bought an upgraded Anthem I225.  The upgraded one offered me exactly what I was looking for sound wise except the xlr inputs had way to high of a gain and I was not going to be able to use a cd player, which is going to be a future purchase.  In retrospect, I should have bought an xlr attenuator but I just thought about / figured that out today andhave already shipped the Anthem back to the original seller.

Anyhow, now that I’ve had a taste of what the upgraded Anthem provided, I don’t want to settle for something less soundwise.

What the upgraded Anthem offered over my stock Anthem was a cleaner, smoother top end, more laid back sound which allowed louder listening volumes, and quite a bit more punch / bass slam.  The bass was so much stronger that it would negate any thoughts about adding a subwoofer to my system.

Anyhow, what are some recommendations on integrated amps around $1200 that will offer me what I am looking for?  I would shoot for a used Belles Aria but I don’t think thats going to happen as they don’t come up for sale used and people have been promoting them more and more around here, which is going to make it even more difficult.

I’m looking at a primare i30, was considering a Rogue Cronus, but am open to any suggestions.  Even separates if need be.  I’m slightly picky about how the amp looks internally with regards to the way its laid out snd power supply.  I’m also picky about the back of the unit and don’t want the binding posts stacked on top of eack other or right next to the power cord as I have spades and don’t want my speaker cables sitting on top of my power cord.  I also would prefer to use balanced connections.

With my long list of expectations and little amount of $, I’m having a difficult time finding something but I know it can be done.  The modded Anthem would have been the ticket if it weren’t for the high gain on the xlr inputs.  
Anyhow, thanks for any tips or suggestions and sorry about the long initial post!

Best Regards,
Bruce

128x128b_limo

Showing 1 response by smrex13

I'd keep an eye out for a used Parasound HINT - the first version.  The newer version (HINT 6) has a few upgrades to the phono stage and the volume control, but the sound quality should be the same.  The original HINT be found fairly close to your price range.  I recently saw a new one at $1400 on Audiogon.  It has an XLR input, good subwoofer connections, a phono stage and a DAC.  Puts out plenty of clean power to drive whatever speakers you have now or might acquire in the future.

Have fun in your hunt!
Scott