Anthem AVM 20 V.2, Outlaw 990, or ???

I'm interested in upgrading my circa 1998 Sony ES pro. My other equipment is as follows...Amp: Rotel RB985 (100x5)...Speakers: B&W Nautilus 805s (front), B&W DSMs (rear)...Sub: B&W ASW-3000...DVD: will upgrade to blue-ray soon!

I have been eyeing the Outlaw 990 for a while. I have always liked their approach to quality and value, and have heard mostly positive feedback on all of their equipment. With the announcement of the new 997, the 990 is going pretty cheap these days! I have come across other quality brands that represent a great value on the used market, notably Anthem. Any thoughts or recommendations on what would be a good complement to my current components. Because of my room layout, I don't see going to 7.1 so that is not a huge consideration. My primary use is movies followed by music. I don't necessarily have a budget, but both the 990 and Anthem can be had for less than $750 so lets say $1,000 at the top end.

I look forward to your thoughts. Thanks.
Dave
lodi

Showing 1 response by oddiofyl

I'd go with a used Anthem because at this point neither one can decode the new formats so just go with the better pre-amp and let someone else take the hit for it's depreciation.