Answer me this...

With the spate of new reissues continuing and with most of the larger reissue labels ’claiming’ that their reissue sounds superior to the original, or at least as good, I fail to understand this...

If the original master tape of the recording isn’t that great to begin with, how great...from a SQ perspective can any future issue of this music sound???
So, let’s take for an example, the reissues of BOTW by Simon and Garfunkel. The original MFSL reissue, then the MFSL ’One Step’ reissue come to mind here. The original master tape of the BOTW session is known for poor SQ. Are we to expect that the reissue(s) are completely different sounding, and that a silk purse has been made from this sow’s ear??

So, answer me this...why are we buying expensive reissues that are sourced either from digital tapes ( with all of the problems that digital recordings elicit) or, from sub par mastering in the first place..??? Anybody else believe that knowledge of the original master tape source and its SQ is paramount before jumping onto the ’pricey reissue wagon’!

128x128daveyf
If sound quality is what you are after, reissues are not the answer.
Better Records are. Bite the bullet, buy a White Hot Stamper. Thank me later.
@millercarbon.  Regardless of the stamper, if the recording isn’t that great to begin with...ie the master tape is poor, or the recording engineer screwed up somehow, then the SQ is going to suffer, IME.
Bingo!

A good solution would be to attach a Master Source (MS) or master provenance for each reissue and have all artists, starting yesterday, record any new tracks direct to at least 24Bit/96KHz digital which has a Signal/Noise Ratio of 144dB and a Dynamic Range of close to150 dB. 

Any recording engineer caught jacking up the volume levels is quickly hauled off to the relaxing and therapeutic TUNEUP SPA for a mandatory skin removal treatment followed by a stimulating massage in their choice of a meat grinder or wood chipper.  All accused are considered guilty until playback of master demonstrates otherwise.  The union and HR shouldn't have a problem with a sensible and appropriate corrective action policy, right?

Tim
Post removed