Another sign SACD is dying

I went to Best Buy to purchase some SACDs and after searching for the special section containing sacds and xrcds without success, I asked the salesman where they were. He informed me that they were all removed since dual disc is now the rage. WOW!
jmslaw
dig into NARM for numbers. national association of recording merchandisers......membership has its rewards...not really.....but it does give me a bird's eye view (of the reality) of the music business for over 25 years
JAYBO.....do yourself a favor and listen to SACD thru the cary 306 sacd player.I understand what you're saying ...but if you heard how good sacd can be.You would understand why we support this format so strongly.
I find it ironic that I discovered this thread as the new 2006 catalogs from "Acoustic Sound" and "Music Direct" both have arrived in the past two weeks. Wonderful to see how much is direct DSD recorded by so many labels.

Yes the Vinyl selection looks strong too, but I am so excited putting my Christmas list together. Over the past five years I have patiently waited for SACD to grow, and ever so slowly it has.

SACD will never be "the" new format, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs have their eyes on that. These two are going to take the sonic quality of music down another notch or two, which makes the small quantity high quality disks even that much more in demand by the Audiophiles. We are willing to pay $35 for a 180 gram vinyl pressing or $25 for boutique labels and SACD.

My guess is redbook cd will die before SACD and DVD-A. Once Apple and Microsoft finish there new ventures there will be no need for music from the store. It will all be internet downloads, except for us, the Audiophile market. This is where the labels who care about quality recording and production will stay and SACD will be one of their preferred formats. It does sound better, and it's a step forward, be it a smaller step than I was hoping for.

If vinyl, SACD, DVD-A die, we audiophiles will die too. Given the fact that any 24 hour period here at Audiogon has over 500 new listings, I don't see that happening. So if you do care about quality recordings, you best support the efforts "our" labels are making to get recorded music better.

If you don't care about sonic quality, then why not leave this site and go to the Microsoft chat rooms...
If vinyl, SACD, DVD-A die, we audiophiles will die too. (...) So if you do care about quality recordings, you best support the efforts "our" labels are making to get recorded music better
Well put, JD, in a very direct and down to earth way, too.
It's actually a very serious possibility that I for one had comfortably paid only lip service to.
I believe we should give serious consideration to supporting ASAP these labels.