Another review of a tweaked Denon DL-103R ??? Oh no! Boring? Surely not! Please read it!

*First of all: I'm not affiliated with ANY of Companies mentioned in this post. Above all, I'm an enthusiast of state of the art audio analog components...*

This is my second post on Audiogon Forum and I would like to share with you, fellow audiophiles, my thoughs about a GREAT tweaked Denon DL-103R Cartridge: The "Paradox Pulse Guard R SMR Cartridge"

Being a Senior Electronic / Acoustic Engineer and worked with many Audio Companies in Germany and Japan, this led me to listen to all kind of analog components, from turntables to tonearms and cartridges since the 70's... the golden years of the analog sound!

Thanks to Siemens AG (in Germany) and Matsushita Electric (known as Panasonic) (in Japan), that I have worked for many years, I have had the opportunity to experienced all sorts of hi-end Cartridges, tonearms and turntables... for audiophile and professional purposes and although many components led me to great satisfaction, only a few them passed to my restricted test of building quality.

For tonearms, Fidelity Research (FR-66 and it's variants, made in Japan) and our own Technics EPA-100 showed perfect bearings... and Cartridges (EMT, made in Germany) among very few others that have the most perfect cantilever/stylus alignment.

For my surprise and great enjoyment, I ordered a modified Denon DL-103R (The Denon DL-103R is a venerable Cartridge in production for many years with a strict quality control), called Paradox Pulse Guard R SMR Cartridge, (from Terence Robinson), that has been tweaked to perfection.... (please go to www.paradoxpulse.com for more details).

After removal of the original resonant plastic body, Terence mount the motor in an special aluminum body, including about 40 micro lead dampers and then finally fill all the gaps with a kind of epoxy to kill all resonances. After this, Terence do the "break in" process (for the wire and suspension of the brand new, selected DL-103R for matched channels) for about 100 hours. After that, he send the wholly cartridge to change the original aluminum cantilever/conical stylus for a Saphire cantilever/MicroRidge stylus. This is done by Andy Kim at www.phonocartridgeretipping.com

After years of triyng expensive Cartridges like Phasemation / Phase Tech (great cartridges!), Ikeda and many others, I mounted the Paradox Pulse Guard R SMR cartridge in the (very rigid) Ikeda IS-2T headshell in conjunction with the (also very rigid) Sorane SA-1.2 high mass tonearm and the results? OUSTANDING!

I NEVER heard piano notes with such lifelike realism! Vocals have palpable presence and the soundstage and depth above any criticism. The exceptionally perfect Saphire cantilever / MicroRidge stylus (made by Namiki, Japan) alignment (Thanks Andy and Terence, for your state of the art job) are so perfect that I ever seen only with such perfection on my EMT TSD15 (and a very few others), but the Paradox Pulse takes the sound reprodution to another level of refinement. Air between massed vocals and bass notes are to die for...This is the cartridge that satisfy me at a reasonable price, without breaking the bank!

This is Heaven & I'd die for it! The Paradox Pulse Guard R SMR Cartridge installed in the Sorane tonearm, Ikeda Headshell, through the fabulous Hashimoto HM-7 Step Up transformers, with a reflective load of 512 Ohms, took my System in another level of realism and satisfaction.

Would you like to share with me, fellow Audiogon members, your impressions and thoughs about your phono system?

Cheers!,
Jose.

ultima700
 he send the wholly cartridge to change the original aluminum cantilever/conical stylus for a Saphire cantilever/MicroRidge stylus.

Are you gonna say that you never hear any better stock LOMC cartridges with MicroRidge diamond and Sapphire or Ruby cantilever, so you had to pay extra to modify your Denon designed in the 60's with modern stylus/cantilever ? 

If so, then i'm sorry to hear that you did not find yet a better cartridge than refurbished Denon. 

What's the cost BTW?

Not sure what is the problem with other cartridges in your system if you prefer refurbished Denon 103R, I want to admit there are many advanced LOMC cartridges out there, some of them are not expensive (even those with short diamond cantilevers and MR tip like Dynavector 17D2mkII with higher compliance).  

If you like old school low compliance carts, did you try SPU Royal G mkII with Replicant 100 stylus for example ? Like the refurbished Denon it's a combination of old design with advanced profile and modern parts, but made buy the manufacturer (not a third party vendor). 

Yet another vintage LOMC cartridge is Klipsch MCZ-10 Ruby. 
But nothing can beat the Miyabi in my opinion. 

Dear Chakster,

Thanks for the comments. This Cartridge, object of the discussion is NOT a refurbished one. The vendor sell me a Brand New DL-103R and made all modifications, like changed the plastic resonant body for an aluminum body and the other modifications described in the text. This is a completely redesign of the venerable DL-103R. It changed the already good DL-103R in a ultimate cartridge. I have had the SPU Royal G (and many other SPU's) and also the Dynavector 17D2 with MR stylus, but these cartridges never competed with the Paradox Pulse R SMR cartridge in terms of purity of piano tones or vocals. Believe me, this modified cartridge made my ears smiling!
*Note to prospective Audiogon posters*

If you want me to take your post seriously, please do not write a review as if you are 16 years old and touched someone else's naughty bits for the first time. A review containing a sentence like "This is Heaven & I'd die for it!" labels you (to me) as a promoter or over-the-top fanboy.

I appreciate and enjoy user reviews. I learn a lot from all of you. But please provide me with an objective report of what you are reviewing; or at least pretend to.

Thanks for listening.

Dear @ultima700 : No surprise with the venerable 103 ( I own it. ) that through several years now it was taked to be marketed under other " names ".

The more famous an expensive cartridge with 103 motor is this one that L.Walker him self promoted along its great and expensive TT Walker Proscinium:

https://audiofederation.com/dealership/prices/magic-diamond/index.htm

Yes, outperforms many today cartridges over 4K. I listened mounted in that Walker TT through a ffirst rate room/system.

Thank's to share your experiences with.

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,
R.
Dear @br3098 : Very sorry to bother you with my review.

We live in a healthy democracy. (at least me, living in Brazil, and people living in the US and many other Countries).

So, if you feel offensive and uncomfortable with this thread, please "unfollow" it.

Respectfully,
Jose.