Another Dealer sets the Bar LOW

Just wanted to post my most recent experience with a dealer and new speakers. Went to get a pair of speakers and got talked into (my fault) what must have been the last new pair of a now discontinued speaker. Great deal (I thought) but got them home and their size and requirement for more power caused me concern. They are great speakers just a bit LARGE for some set-ups.

I went back to the dealer less than two weeks later (the earliest I could make the journey) and asked if I could trade them back in. I explained they were not working in my set-up.

Mind you I have purchased several things from this guy - I have been a good customer (again I thought). His idea of a deal was he would give me $700 less than what I paid for the floor model speakers against full retail for another set that would work better in my home.

The good news is in the end it all worked out and I am happy with the speakers and a new integrated I bought on Audiogon (more power). Thanks Audiogon and all the members for re-engineering the market and idustry to make it better. Retailers like this guy need to adapt and offer a higher level of service to survive.
patriot
Patriot, the only way brick and mortar dealers can survive is if they do provide superior service and advice. From your original post I did not take away that your complaint had to do with the advice the dealer gave you. At least it worked out in the end.

No need to apologize about me thinking you're whining. I'm whining about you whining.
I have never seen a situation where a sale made during inventory clearance (eg. selling the last pair of a discontinued model) allowed for a customer return in any industry. Blows me away that anyone would think they could return something like that.
Fatcrider you make a good point, I will stay away from the "bluelight" specials at the local high end stereo stores. Thanks for your input.
store policies(even posted ones) ultimately have to comply with consumer laws in any state. these discussions need to happen before you purchase anything.
"I think after having been in this hobby for some 30+ years----I just know what to expect from a dealer. That translates to : expect the worst and maybe,be suprised, if that doesn't happen."

I'm sure that this is the case with many dealers - but there ARE some great dealers out there who will bend over backwards to make their customers happy, and provide excellent service and support. One of these such dealers is Goodwins High End in Waltham, MA. At Goodwins, expect the best, and be surprised when they exceed your expectations.