Another Cable Burn-in Question

I've checked the archives and I'm still not certain about this. I want to burn-in a new ic cable between CD player and preamp. I set the CD player to repeat/play but does the preamp need to be turned on? I'd rather not leave my tubed pre on during burn-in if I don't have to.
jc4659

Showing 8 responses by rodman99999

It's kind of comical: The originator of this thread stated that he'd resolved the issue, some 14 posts ago! =8^)
The preamp DOES NOT have to be powered up. The voltage swings in a musical signal are generated solely by the source, and nothing is added (or sent back to the source) by the pre. AS long as the interconnect is hooked up to the load component, and music with heavy bass content(or a burn in disc) being played: the burn-in will be successful.
If you look at the manual for your preamp, the section dealing with source connections generally is titled, "INPUTS". That's because the signal voltage(and it's swings) are coming FROM the source to the pre. The input impedance of the pre remains the same and completes the circuit for the source's interconnects, whether the unit is turned on or not, because there are PASSIVE components(attenuator/resistor/etc) in any preamp's input circuitry that present a load for them. The only signal that LEAVES the preamp, does so from the OUTPUTS. To burn interconnects between a pre and power amp: The amp(likewise) need not be powered up for exactly the same reasons(passive components at the inputs), while a source and the pre would(to provide signal voltage TO the interconnects).
You really can't make a final judgement with most "high end" interconnects/cables before they've seen 200 hrs of strong music signal. Be patient!
A passive component(in this case generally an attenuator) does not change it's impedance value when the equipment in which it's installed is turned either on or off. The CDP or DAC output will never see a "virtually open circuit". Just put an ohmeter across the input of a preamp while turned off to verify.