Analog Lp

My Lp collection is pre-1979. How does the newer stuff compare? Does it sound like a CD?
bernard246
As you said your records are pre-1979, and this is true analog recodrings. It was the era when mastering and pressing was on the highest level, Japanese pressing of the same releases normally even better. Listen to your favorite music just like it was recorded, mastered and approved by the artists when it came out on vinyl. Very few reissues can sound better than this, if you don’t want to hear something overcompressed, digitally remastered today by strangers (not related to the band) and reissued by someone who just bought copyright. Rember, musicians from the 60’s - 70’s era are old today and they are happy if someone reissue their music in any format, they don’t care much and can’t control the whole process anyway. There is a huge difference between audiophile reissues and normal reissues. 180g press is not an indication of the better quality at all. But even if an audiophile reissue is from the master tape, don’t forget that tape is over 40 y.o. today (not fresh). 
Most of my collection is music from the 70’s (original vinyl). I don’t like the quality of reissues sonically. 
I tend to agree with chakster 100%.  None of the ones I have purchased sound as good as my originals.  I'll take the pops & ticks and like them.
-John
@rauliruegas 

How ignorant of you to suggest that I do not like music.

Also, how stupid to suggest that someone whom you do not know does not go to concerts.  I go regularly (before Covid) to concerts, principally concerts of unamplified music.  I generally do not go to concerts where the music comes through microphones and loudspeakers.  

And I play music, as do others in my family   So I know how music should sound.  The re-equalization that modern record producers so often do to great old tapes takes us further from the real thing I think.  

IMO, there are no better disks than some of them cut in the golden age of vinyl.  And, even used, they command the highest prices.
As one of the few of us who actually lived through the years prior to 1979 and who was an audiophile prior to 1979, let me say that the only drawback to well produced post-1979 LPs is that the master tapes from which the original (pre-1979) LPs were generated were and are aging. Tapes don’t age well, even when perfectly cared for at controlled temperature and humidity. Let alone the fact that many or most master tapes were not at all carefully stored. So, the best modern LPs in the "re-issue" category can sometimes be compromised compared to original pressings by that factor alone. And this is assuming that all other elements of making a re-issue are done to the highest standards. Contrary to what the youngster Chakster says, before 1979 Japanese pressings were hardly looked upon as top quality, if indeed Japanese pressings were even imported (to the US) in those days. In those days, the best pressings were often European in origin, e.g., ECM, EMI, Decca, and others I cannot conjure up, including some excellent French labels, and in the US, we had Verve, Pablo, Columbia, etc. We also had the first generation Mo-Fi (from 1977 on) and Reference Recordings (from 1976), as well as direct to disc recordings, if you can stand the music on some of the latter LPs. The Japanese are to be credited for keeping up the art form during the 80s and 90s, when our industry was ignoring LP production entirely or making sloppy quality re-issues on some of the aforementioned labels, thereby tarnishing their image. (So, I am not saying that Japanese pressings are not excellent, in some cases, just not pre-79.) Anyway, record collecting is still a worthwhile hobby, IMO.
New lp's and reissues have one advantage, they are generally quieter. Most of the times i feel they lack some air and atmosphere, have heavier bass and less extended treble. Original tapes is a very misleading term for tape can degrade over time. Original good pressings on good quality vinyl, sound more coherent to me and the artwork is better too. Of course there are exceptions.

G