An enjoyable evening watching "Country Music Live At The Ryman" on AZ PBS.

Last night, the wife and I had a most enjoyable evening, gratis our comfy couch and AV system, watching a AZ PBS broadcast of "Country Music Live AT The Ryman" 

A wonderful tribute to the history of Country Music and the many artists, writers  and producers who helped pave its way. It was hosted by producer Ken Burns with tribute performances of the music of such iconic legends as Hank Williams. Johny Cash, Maybelle Carter and many others, performances by Vince Gill, Rodney Crowell, Kathy Matea, Marty Stewart, Dwight Yoakam, Holly Williams and other noted artists.
It was both educational and entertaining and inspired me to dig out some of my old favorite Country LPs and CDs and spend the night enjoying some almost forgotten, wonderful tunes. 

Whether or not Country Music is among one's favorite genres, it definitely has deep roots in America's musical landscape.
For those who haven't had a chance to enjoy this great broadcast, check your local PBS for possible re-broadcasts and follow up additions of the history and artists of American Country Music, as well as specials on the many other genre of music. 

Jim

jhills

Jim, I assume the full documentary will include Emmylou, and Gram Parsons, Steve Earle, The Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Commander Cody, The Byrds, Dylan, maybe even The Band---the whole Rock ’n’ Roll/Country convergence of the late-60’s/early 70’s and beyond.

In the 1980’s, the radio station operating out of the Community College in Northridge, California had great programming of Roots music---Hard Country, Hillbilly, Bluegrass, Blues, Jump Blues, Rockabilly, some Jazz, and much more. Some guys with attitudes like that of schubert considered such music below the dignity of a college, and moved to change the station to an all-Classical format. You know, music more befitting an institution of higher learning. Snobs.

Geez schubert, that’s a rather un-Christian sentiment, attitude, and posture. Don’t forget, pride and wrath are 2 of the 7 deadly sins. Repent sinner, and remember what Country folk say: Don’t get above your raisin’.
It looks like the follow up documentary may indeed have something that should be of interest to about any music lover. I, for sure, will be following along. No doubt there will be something to inspire me to dig out some particular piece/pieces of forgotten tunes and spend some quality time having another listen. 

Jim
Just finished the Country Western Documentary by Ken Burns and have to say it was phenomenal. I could nitpick about a few people that were not mentioned in it but understood the restraints and loved the journey and the path they chose to follow and WOW what a journey. Did I mention, I loved it?