An Advent Guy

Last weekend I hooked up a pair of my Large Advents just to remind myself that before I became a wannabe audiophile, I was just an Advent guy. I guess I still am. Any golden oldie still knock you out (for no particular reason)?
jaybo
JBL L100 Century. Best Rock-N-Roll speaker ever made.

DCM Original Time Window. The speaker that started my journey into high-end.
I concur Jaybo. In the early 70's I really liked the Advents. They were very good at what they did. (putting a system together was much easier then)

The advents, then hearing the Quad ESL-57's was what got me interested in 'audio'.
I also have two pairs of vintage Advent but I enjoy listening more to my Spica TC-50 and TC-60.
Is this just about speakers or any 'Golden Oldie' gear? And can't there be a reason for it 'knocking you out'?

Their are parts of my current system that are 20yrs old, and still knock me out because I haven't heard anything that sounds substantially better: Goldmund, SME, MartinLogan, Nakamichi, Wadia. Yup, all 20years old (some older!)

True, I started about 30years before THAT (late 50's/early 60's) and I'd love to hear some of that stuff that I sold or (stooopidly let go ;-( I'll bet just hooked up using today's cable technology and power regenerators, it might blow a few minds (even the minds of the original designers!)

I had a pair of L-100's and agree with MoFi on that. But before that, I had a pair of AR-4a's. Wonder what those would sound like with a Levinson or Boulder amp!! Or those Infinity RS 4.5's. I gave my Crown 700 R2R to some f**ked up DJ in 1984! And I have no idea what happened to my Mitchell Cotter SUT. A friend of mine still has my Maggie Tympani 1-D's, won't listen to them, but won't sell them to someone who would! Just take me out back and shoot me!~
I recently retrieved my New Large Advents from my parents' house that I bought new in '77 for my first decent system. I hooked them up and they sounded suprisingly good. One of the dpdt switches for the tweeter smoothing didn't work in two positions. As luck would have it, it only worked in the "extended" position.

I opened them up and decided to rebuild the crossovers. Not much to them really - a couple of caps, resister, inductor. Bought the parts from Parts Express and they arrived today. I'm looking forward to the hearing how they sound. But from what I heard the other day, wow, certainly a speaker that costs 10 times as much is not 10 times better.