AMR DP-777, what am I missing ?

There are a lot of people here who love this DAC, I purchased one (used) based on the many glowing reviews, but feel like this DAC falls short.
To be sure it bested (by not a lot) my Wavelength Cosecant (better imaging and bass) but I still prefer my modest analog setup (Rega RP6, Shelter 500).

I am sure my digital front-end is not super tuned: IMac, audirvana, no-name USB cable to DAC. But before I spend more money I would love some advice from the good folks in this forum on how I can make this $5000 retail DAC at least come close to my modest analog setup that cost much less retail without spending too much coin.

Do I need to invest in a music server, or maybe a USB to SPDIF, or better USB cable or all of the above.

Rest of my system.
Coincident Line stage
Coincident Dragon mk2 monoblocks
Verity Parsifal Encore speakers.

Thanks.
essrand

Showing 3 responses by plutos

AMR digital gear is relatively a veiled sounding in my experience. I have no experience with the DAC but I have listened to CD-77 and CD-777 in my system. The filter options will not help much also.
Maybe better tubes will but I don't thing that these will make it a top digital anyway.
No offense please but this is just my experience based on my system.
I tested CD-77 and CD-777. Both nice and musical but not very natural and not pleasingly detailed for me. Anyway enjoyable but not the top of a hill digital.
Audiogon seems not to honor a freedom of speech.
So all answers must be extremely polite if some company name is mentioned.
Therefore it is impossible to give a straight answers here and therefore the forum is so rounded and nice...
Don't even think that I'm a reseller of some brand or someone whose related in audio business (expect buying as audiophile).