Amps under $5k that are resolving at low volumes?

Considering upgrading from a PrimaLuna Premium Integrated amp, its wonderful but you can't play it at low volumes for enjoyment. I wasn't able to tolerate SS gear at or below the $2k price of the Prima Luna when I bought but am open minded about gear costing more... liked the Modwright integrated when I heard it. Any opinions on amps (integrated or power amp only) with the mid range virtues of the Prima Luna but better low volume/low level detail resolution under $5k?
128x128davide256

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"I wasn't able to tolerate SS gear at or below the $2k price of the Prima Luna when I bought but am open minded about gear costing more... "

Looking at your system, I think there's a good chance your issue is with the 1.7's and not your amp than you amp. I had a pair myself, and I just couldn't get pass the highs. That big strip of aluminum they use for a tweeter, sounds like a big strip of aluminum.

So, at this point, you'll probably need to make a choice. Either you get a new pair of speakers that are easier on the ears, or you can continue on with them, and keep buying components in an attempt to offset what the speakers are doing. I would recommend replacing the speakers because I like fixing a problem directly. But I realize you'll probably want to keep the 1.7's because they get good reviews and a lot of people like them.

Of all the amps I tried with the 1.7's, my Rowland 112 was the one I liked the most. Its very soft in the highs and it helps offset the ribbon tweeter. Also, I would stay away from low power tube gear like you currently have. Some of what you are hearing is probably due to the amp straining. I think you can use your Prima Luna as a preamp, so I would just try an amp first.
"03-15-15: Robr45
Isn't this more a function of the speakers?"

No. All of the components contribute. Not only that, but you can have a situation where one component can stop all the others from performing to their potential. For example, I have an amp that doesn't image well. When I put it in a system that otherwise has components that excel in imaging, the whole system is brought down to the level of the amp. It makes it sound like all of the components have an imaging problem.
"03-16-15: Davide256
Actually I have no problems with the 1.7's sounding shrill... every shrillness concern I had with them resolved to be caused by other components."

I've heard that one before, lol. In all seriousness, though, even to play at moderate volumes, your Prima Luna is probably working pretty hard. Generally speaking, tube amps are a bit more forgiving when pushed hard compared to SS. So while you may feel the need to turn the volume up to get everything sounding right, its possible that the amp is straining and you just don't realize it, tubes will sound different under a heavy load. I didn't really care for my 1.7's, but I didn't have any problems with them at low volumes. Do you have anyone that can lend you some components to do some testing with?