Amps that can Rival A Levinson No. 332 around 3K?

Hi there I just got a great deal on a Mark Levinson 332 and turned it over to a friend of mine who is also my tech buddy who lets me use his store to test gear and hotrods speakers for me.

Anyway longstory short... It looks like hes getting the amp, I was absolutely FLOORED BY THE EVRYTHING!! It blew away most everything I'd heard above low level listening. My buddy Of course is taking it and I cant get it back and be a friend hes WAY TO STOKED! Its clean

Anyway what out there can compare in that range or better it, Besides maybe a 333, 335 or 336?

I only care about music, I listen mostly to rock, reggae, rap, All the stuff you need awesome Solid State Power for!
128x128systembuilder

Showing 1 response by jeffb28451

I owned a 332 for a couple of years. I believe they are of an age where a recap/rebuild is due, if it hasn't already been done. That brings us to service, and I have a real issue with Levinson on that. Expensive and horrific service, lackadaisical attitude, their own techs telling me to "get out (sell) while I could" (during the switch to HK), orphaned $8K DACs purchased because they were "future proof" modular and software upgradeable, etc (but they didn't guarantee that Levinson would just not give a s**t about them in 3 years. I've had 5 pieces of Levinson gear and when the first needed service, I learned my lesson and got rid of all of it.

Pass/First Watt is first rate, Nelson actually cares and stands behind his gear. I think my Pass stuff was far superior sound wise and at least as good finish wise as Levinson.

I'm a gearwhore and do a lot of trading. I will never have another piece of Levinson in my home or office (although it does sound okay). Pass and First Watt is always welcome and certainly sounds cleaner and less veiled, with plenty of grunt, than the 300 series Levinson gear.

If you want your 332 back, here's what you do. Let your buddy have to get some service on it. He may jsut give it to you instead of paying and waiting to see if anyone at HK gives a crap. OR, buy a Pass and let him listen to it: he'll undoubtedly propose a trade.

I am not prejudiced against Levinson gear: I just have experience with it.