Amps - New vs. Used

Looking to upgrade amplification from my AVR + a 2 channel outboard running the mains. I also have a powered sub, Hsu ULS15.

Am I better off to get a 'higher quality' used setup (be it a 7 channel or combination of multiple amps), or buy new amps?

I'm wondering about the changes in designs, performance, reliability that may have occured in the last decade or so. I have no problem buying good used equipment, I like to get the most bang-for-buck, obviously, and used has the potential to increase that quotient.

I don't have a set budget, I prefer to wait a little longer if necessary to get what I'll really want, but lets' keep it in the $2-3K range. EBay always seems to have options that seem good in the sub $2K range.

Room is a 12X19X8 rectangle, my 125wpc Yamaha struggles when I wind up my low-efficiency speakers, (86db?) but the newly added sub helps. There is a speaker upgrade in the future too. Which brings up a part-2 to the question, should I upgrade my mains first, then worry about amps?

Thanks
english210

Showing 3 responses by english210

Great, thanks for the thoughts. So it sounds like good used (B&K is only radar, along with Parasound, ATI, Emotiva, Outlaw) is only slightly more risky than new, and potentially cheaper, with one vote to upgrade amps first and see if that satisfies, and one vote for new mains which may satisfy, but if not, then I can shop for the amp with the sound to best match the upgraded mains. I have been looking hard at Synchrony's or maybe Imagine T2's. I must say I'm more nervous about buying speakers without an audition than I am amps. Thanks, keep suggestions coming...:)
I just added a sub, and was really happy to hear more 'air' around instruments in the highs in my main speakers than before. A particular trumpet note that 'rang' after the note ended that I'd never heard before stood out. But at the same time, the highs were too bright in other material, and it was fatiguing. Music tastes are varied, from Pink Floyd to Jennifer Warnes, Casting Crowns to Dire Straits. A wide, deep, focused soundstage, the afore-mentioned air, and a tight but full bodied bass. That's the best I can describe.

Ok, I'll look at that Theta too, thanks
There's obviously a reason all these brands exist and coexist, are there 'brand flavors' of sound that would help narrow the field somewhat, or levels of quality? Or is it all subjective, and simply finding what I like by auditions and/or home trials of the ID brands like Emotiva or Outlaw, etc? Many of the brands, speakers and electronics, I've never heard of, so how do I know if something is worthy of extra effort to find and audition. The PSBs I found and heard locally, but I can't believe they're the only ones I'd be happy happy with. The Paradigms and B&W I heard in the $3k price range didn't excite me, but there are lots of other options too