Amps and integrateds w/ similar sonic sig to MC275

Hi folks,

I've been out of the audio realm for a while, but I now want to put together a small system with good performance. I have had a lot of experience listening and owning some good gear, so I am not a beginner.

As far as amps goes, I've owned SS (Pass Labs) and tubes (McIntosh), and in my last nice system I had the MC275 (production model after the Gow version, but before the version with the modern speaker terminals) running. I probably never should have sold it... I really enjoyed the sound; engaging and lively, with some base slam when needed. Overall, it was all the amp I needed, and probably could be again, but I'll need to buy another one.

Since I do need to buy an amp, I feel I should do a reasonable search before I get the MC275 again... I like to know that I have evaluated all my reasonable options...

The first question is what amps would you recommend as a sonic twin to the MC275?

Because I was thinking a small system, I was thinking possibly of an integrated instead. Can anyone recommend any integrated amps that have a similar sonic signature to the MC275? I will probably be buying used, and probably don't want to go over the price of an MC275 used unless there is a real compelling reason (at that point, I'd probably go for the MC275 again).

I don't have a speaker selected yet, but will be looking at the Totems, Sonus Faber, and similar. Not big floorstanders, but probably not the bookshelf versions.

Thanks. If I need to provide any more information, let me know...

---Michael
mjm6

Showing 1 response by kbarkamian

Mcintosh's house sound is very consistant through its range, and has been consistant throughout the years IMO. When you climb up the McIntosh ladder, you get more of everything, rather than a change. A lot of companies are like that though.

I'm not saying every and any Mac will fit your needs. What I'm saying is that look into Mac stuff within your budget. It's not like an MA6900 integrated is going to sound radically different than an MA2275 or your old amps. Their will be differences, but if you're a Mac fan, you'll most likely be able to live with anything they've made.

In your shoes, I'd look at speakers first, determine if you need solid state or can use tubes, then determine if you want/need an integrated or seperates. If you're staying with Mac, there's not a whole lot of compromise between these IMO.