Amplifiers: High Current? High Voltage?

I've seen alot of mention about current-based and voltage-based amplifiers, and I am confused. I thought all amplifiers recreated the wave form by varying voltage, and their interaction with the speaker (and the impedence characteristics between the two) dictate what current is drawn. I understand that the power supply of some amplifiers is less current restricted than others, but my (current) understanding also says that all amplifiers work by controlling voltage. Is there really such a thing as an amplifier that controls current rather than voltage?
peter_s

Showing 1 response by lucas911993

First, I don't know that "controlling" is the best word to use in this situation. Many, Many high quality amplifiers use little to zero feedback, espcially in the current gain sections.

A better understanding may be had by thinking about the speaker itself. A voice-coil (or any electro-magnetic mechanical device) is driven by changes in the magenetic field. Electro-magnetics have a direct relationship with current, not voltage. In a voice-coil, the only reason to have high voltage is to overcome secondary effects, such as "back-emf" (an electric motor terms, but it applies here too).

Many amplifiers are designed in the voltage domain, from the perspective of wave form replication, and have devices (tubes, transistors) that are capable of high current. This is valid because of Ohm's Law or V=IR. The resistance is set by the speaker coils, and the current in then a fucntion of the voltage output.

This does not apply for electro-stats, as the rely on HIGH voltages to create the static field.