Amplifiers for Talon Hawk monitors

Hi All,

I've been using a Levinson 23.5 amp with my Talon Hawks and just wondered if anyone had experience of a better ss amp match. I've also used expensive Audio Research, Plinius and Conrad Johnson amps with them and did not appreciate the match.

I've heard some good things about Edge and Halcro but would really appreciate any views and information about their actual or potential performance with the Talons.

Many thanks
dgob
Thanks to all respondents, however I have now sorted my apparent problems in driving the Talons and they are singing like the proverbial lark. I managed this with a different system change that has meant that the Levinson/Hawk combination seems to have been made in heaven. I've actually posted a review of how this all came about at http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?rprea&1187459855&openusid&zzDgob&4&5. Thanks, again though for all of your kind assistance and suggestions.
Hi All,

I just have to let you all know of a recent discovery that has me very excited. By happy coincidence, I recently had the opportunity to try the Talons on the Escalante Hoodooh stands. This transformed by Talons into a whole new beast: better dynamics, frequency range, detail and overall realism. I am not certain why this major transformation came about with my move from the former Partington Broadside stands but, filled with sand, the Hoodoohs should be consider a must hear when it comes to the Talons.

I now play the Talons with an external cross-over in my modified Levinson 23.5 amp and have everything below 70Hz managed by the integrated Velodyne DD12 subs - run in stereo. The sound is just real music and you actually see and hear the musicians in all their splendour in your listening area. The subs need to be isolated from the floor on which the rest of your equipment stands (I used Audio Technica pneumatic footers for this) and you will be amazed at what this combination does. For Hoodooh think Voodoo - just magic.

Give it a go if you can.
Stands make a huge difference. Why that stand with that speaker--I don't know, but we did make some changes to the Hawks so that the new ones are threaded and can be bolted to the new stand. This does improve the sound, but also makes it less likely that they could get tipped over.

Glad you are enjoying it.
I see they use the Accuton drive units. I have used the Bel Canto Ref 1000's on them, But the best amps I have used on those drivers are the MSB M200's. I just used them with the Marten Miles III at the recent Heathrow Hifi Show to very good effect. I have a customer who I sold an AR VT200 which went very well with the Talons. I would think the new Thorens amps or the Jef Rowland amps would be a nice match. But In my experience I beleive the MSB M200's to be the perfect partner.
Dgob
Sorry for getting back to you so late. The Talon/VAC combo as Rives mentioned, the imagaging and depth are outstanding. The two were truely meant for each other. I remember visting over 35 rooms that day at ces, and the room that stood out most was this room. There were several silky sounding rooms at the show but I think what drew me into the music with this room even more so was the 3d imagaing. The air that floated around each instrument and placement of each entertainer on stage was chilling. Those VAC Amps are out of my league as for budget, but after talking to VAC CEO Kevin Hayes, he mentioned that i needed to hear the music blocs 160 too. He mentioned that they also do very special things in sound. All in all i don't think you can go wrong with this combination of equipment. Personally I could listen for hours and hours with all types of Jazz and classical.