Amplifiers for B&W 803D/802D

I'm new to high end home audio (have extensive high end Pioneer ODR system in the car) and am looking for amps to pair with either B&W 803D or 802D. My local B&W dealer only sells Rotel and Classe and hasn't been able to set both amps up together so I can listen/switch between the two. Is there a significant difference in sound between these amps with these speakers and is it worth the expense? Are the Classe amps reliable long term? Has anyone heard B&W with Mcintosh amps? I listened to Mcintosh with Infinity speakers that sounded great but can't find a way to demo Mcintosh with B&W. Thanks a lot.
statusnine

Showing 2 responses by amfibius

I wonder where the anti B&W brigade is? :) B&W sound seems to polarize people - you either think it's pretty ho-hum or you like it. When I heard the 802D's driven by Classe amplification - I could not pick a fault with the sound. But then again I could not pick anything I liked either. Since I have to "love" my equipment before I spend thousands of $ on it, I passed on this one.
Sargentfriday I have the same pre and power amp as you :) But I am not using B&W's. There are two ways to suppress the brightness - one is by tube rolling, but the better way would be to cover up your windows with curtains.

If you are using the standard tubes that come with the SLP-05 and 211AE, these are very bright and glary. I replaced all the 6SN7's in the SLP-05 with RCA's - a bit less top end, fuller and sweeter midrange, but a little bit lacking in dynamics. I will shortly be replacing the 845's in the 211AE with Cetrons. Rolling the 300B in the 211AE does not make as much of a difference compared to rolling the input and output tubes. It is also the most expensive.