Amplifier recommendation

We who love this hobby/obsession are an interesting lot. We love to converse with, encourage, challenge, insult, and offend one another, then turn to one another for advice and recommendations. Because we are haunted by the possibility that while we think we have Golden Ears, we might just merely have Silver Ears, so we seek reassurance from one another that we really are hearing what we think we’re hearing. “Did you find that to be a little too rolled off on the top end?” “I agree that it’s right tonally, but lacks the imaging of comparable models. Or is that just my room?” 

With that brief preamble, I am going to, you guessed it, ask for a recommendation. And I’m going to ask a question hoping some will have a very specific answer to, knowing full well that most will say,”Well, that depends”. Can you name a specific stereo tube amp that is reasonably affordable, (no &100k or even $10 k, please) “vintage” or current, that you think produces 70, 80, 90% of the sound characteristics that tube lovers love? Can you say THAT amp is what a typical high end tube amp “sounds like”? An amp about which you would say, “Wanna know the difference between a good tube amp and a good solid state amp? Listen to THAT tube amp! Thanks!

128x128pascon

I have a mid 70s vintage ARC SP-3a-1 Van Alstinr preamp retuned that I am using in a 2 channel music system with Goldenear Technology BRX monotors, MacBook Pro, Pro Ject carbon fiber, Yamaha B-2. Goldenear Super Sat X. This system sounds great mixing technology from different eras. The key is the ARC preamp. Replacing the Yamaha B-2 with a ARC classic 30 or 60 woukd tske it to the next level IMHO. Food for thought for those wishing to engage. 

JasonBourne52 I like your thinking  the older AR amps are really nice especially when you upgrade them - which I happen to do LOL

Other than that the older Counterpoint power amps are hybrid so you get a little of both worlds SS/tubes and again once upgraded - which I do they become reference level amplifiers

After that the ones my company manufacturers tube mono blocks Class A hardly anything out there competes.

Happy Listening

+1 For Aric Audio. His Components are top notch. As a person he is one hell of a great guy. Just an absolute positive experience from the beginning with him, and the music. It just comes from nowhere with a very neutral (in my opinion) presentation.

I am running a upgraded version of his Transcend pre amp he labeled "special 6sn7 pre". As well as his current version of the "Super 88/120 SE". Mine is the one that is pictured on his website.

J.F.

good point being raised in the last few posts

op would benefit from posting what speakers (and size of room) he plans to use... there are lower powered tube amps basically dedicated towards high efficiency speaker designs, this is a rather special sub-segment -- versus those which are made to drive speakers of more average/’normal’ sensitivity levels