"Amplifier Noise Floor" and hum acceptable?

I recently purchased the Parasound A52+ (5 channel amplifier, 180 wpc all ch driven). Initially I loved it and had no issues. About 2 weeks in however I was sitting around quietly and noticed the dreaded 60 hz hum. I get up close to the speaker midrange driver (Focal Aria 936) and there it is blaring at me. It is present in all 5 speakers I have connected. Everything is connected on a single dedicated receptacle with a power conditioner.

Trouble shooting.. the hum is not affected by volume control on the preamp. When I have removed the XLR cables to the preamp and ONLY have the speaker cables and the power cable connected... it hums. I did recently change my receptacle from a stock to a Hubbell but I don't think this would affect it. I upgraded my power conditioner too to see if that would do anything (I didn't think it would) and it did not. I switched the parasound out for a class D amp (120 wpc) and there was almost no hum. I switched it out for another class AB amp (140 wpc) and there was a hum but about half the volume of the parasound. 

So here's the gist.. when I emailed parasound tech support there are 2 things he said that I thought were noteworthy. One, he states that it is typical and normal to have some hum that close to the speaker baffle, i.e. within 1 foot of it. Second, while I asked for help he ultimately just said "I think you are just hearing the amplifier noise floor".

Three questions I pose to the community. 
Is it normal to hear a hum next to your speak baffle?
Is it acceptable and normal to be hearing the "amplifier noise floor"?
What can I try to lower this noise floor? I thought about connecting a ground wire between the chassis of the A52 and my power conditioner as the next step...

Thanks in advance for input.
jwl244

Showing 6 responses by jwl244

@yogiboy I was more excited about integrating the new amp into my system and with settings. I never noticed a hum in my system ever before. I can't say if there was hum before I changed the receptacle. I do plan to switch the receptacle back to stock to see however....

@helo thank you I was thinking the same thing and was really surprised tech support told me that actually. 

@lowrider57 the receptacle did have a ground which I attached. I do need to pull it off the wall again to make sure it didn't come loose pushing it through the gang box 

@mofojo thanks for that. I think mine is dedicated but I'm not 100% sure now..

@geof3 I do have dimmers around in my listening area. I suppose even if the light isn't technically on the dimmer is still working? I didn't think about this one. Might try and disconnect or cap off one of the receptacles 

I'll report back to the post when I have an update 

The hum is there even if I try connecting the amp power cable to another receptacle so it's not the new receptacle it seems. 

@jasonbourne how do you know that it's internal? Is it because there is still hum even with all wires unplugged except for the power and speaker cables?

@twoleftears the speakers only. Can't seem to hear it from the amp itself. The midrange driver seems most affected. The tweeter gives off a faint hiss but not noticeable unless I'm right next to it ear to tweeter. 
@ditusa thank you for that. I will have to check on what you said. The faint hiss I don't mind so much but thanks for that knowledge as well!
For updates
1. The receptacle neutral and hot wires were not reversed. I checked.
2. I switched the new Hubbell recep out for my old one (common 20 amp one). Hum was still there. 
3. I bought a new and better power conditioner. Hum did not change.
4. I lifted the ground with a 3 to 2 prong adapter. Hum still there. 
5. Parasound service mentioned channel 2 is closest to the toroidal transformer and thus may have the most affect on hum. This is true and I would up rearranging the hum out of my fronts but it still present in my rears now where i switched them. Still audible from my listening position. 

Today I had a really weird thing happen. I was further trouble shooting and messing around. At some point the hum was almost "jumping" around. First I heard it in my Outlaw amp (runs my ceiling atmos channels). It sounded like it was coming from inside the amp itself. When I turned it off the hum jumped into my subwoofer. I don't know what I did but I just turned it all off and put it all back together. It went back to just hum in the 5 channels like it always was.... very confusing to me but suggests the issue is my system rather than parasound? @geof had mentioned this. I still have not tried removing the light dimmer from the line. 

Parasound does not really have any more to add and did state they would check it for me. I have to ship it to them (which I pay) and they would ship it back free. 

The dealer who sold it to me suggests I have to plug it into someone else's home's receptacle to see if anything changes. At 50+ lbs i'm not excited about this idea but i'd consider it......
Same hum with subs disconnected. 

Tried hum x which didn't help which I figured since the ground lift didn't either.