Amplifier advice from Ohm Walsh 100 Mk. II owners

I am awaiting a pair of Ohm Walsh 100 Mk. II speakers. My current system uses a Rega Brio 3. (49 watts at into 8 ohms, 64 watts into 4 ohms) I suspect it may fall short with the Ohms.

The room is around 30x20, with a cathedral ceiling that extends up to 16 feet. The system is along the long wall, and most listening is done with 8-10 feet.

The amplifiers under consideration are:

Rogue Cronus Magnum (90 watts, Tube)
Wyred4Sound STI500 (250 watts into 8 ohms, 550 watts into 4 ohms, Class D)
Quad 99/909 (140 watts into 8 ohms, 250 watts into 4 ohms, Solid State)

Any input/guidance from other Ohm Walsh owners, specifically Ohm Walsh 100 Mk. II owners past and present, would be greatly appreciated.
anonymoustao

Showing 2 responses by irc3479

I currently own a pair of Walsh Ohm 100 Mk IIs.

The Exposure 2010S2 is a first-rate match; this is with Naim CDX2 as source (Naim 5-pin-to-RCA interconnects), Nordost Flatlines as speaker cable.

The Exposure amp is quite transparent, and everything it retrieves - and I do mean everything - ends up being music; a great piece of gear, and a very high-quality match with the 100s indeed. Highest recommendation.

I never had much luck with the 100s in my 30x16 family room,
but they sound very good in a 17x13 bedroom. A very balanced, coherent sound, articulate without brightness, excellent bass - easily reaches into the 30s.
Hi, Anonymoustao -

Tried the Exposure 2010S2 with Epos ES12, Audio Note J/L, Reference 3A Veena (which are still breaking in). Works well with all, altho AN J/Ls may like tubes better. I would say the 2010S2 is a best match with speakers that are articulate even to the point of being slightly bright. Tone is outstanding with the Exposure. Actually, so is everything else, including bass.

The 100 MKIIs were set up along the 17' wall, about 7' apart, altho they can be separated more than that; my room is in a state of flux, so not an ideal setup - they sound good anyway. Among the easiest speakers to set up - move closer to wall behind them for a meatier, full sound; further away for the opposite effect. Love the wheels; no spikes!