Amplification for Denon 3802 for 2-ch listening

I'm just getting started in the home theatre / mid-fi arena, so please bear with my ignorance... that's why I'm researching here.

Current Setup:
I recently purchased a Denon AVR-3802 for home theatre use, based on a friend's recommendation. I got a good deal on it, and I like the processing features for HT. That purchase has started a snowball effect. I then decided to upgrade my speakers, and I took a quantum leap up to B&W CDM 7NT's for the fronts, the CDM CNT Center, and a used set of CDM 1SE's for the rear surrounds. I also have a REL Q150E sub coming next week (I know it's a little small for the 7NT's, but space was an issue with my wife, and it seemed pretty powerful when I auditioned it at a local shop). My source components aren't that great, and I will be upgrading those along the way. I have a cheap DVD player, and an older Sony ES CD player. I did buy decent quality interconnects and Canare star-quad bi-wire speaker cables for the whole system.

Question:
I'm relatively satisfied with the sound of the system for home theatre (although it does seem like I have to crank up the volume to about -15db on the receiver to get the full effect), but I don't think I'm doing my speakers justice for music listening with the Denon powering them. I'd guess my usage of the system is about 65% music, 35% movies. I'm looking for recommendations on an amp or amp / pre amp combo to improve the performance of my speakers for music (and home theatre, if possible). Does it make sense to use the denon as a preamp for music, or should I take it completely out of the loop and only use it for HT. If the latter, how do I do this, and what features in the preamp should I look for? I have a budget of $1200 for this (I'll buy used gear).

Thanks, and sorry for the long winded question.

Scott
scottwebb

Showing 1 response by matt8268

Couple things I will add from my experience of owning a Denon receiver (AVR1702) and adding a nice 2 channel amp to it (old McIntosh 2105):

- Keep in mind the Denon redigitizes all signals that are fed to it, even analog inputs (block diagram on Denon.com for my model shows this, almost positive it's the same for the 3802). For this reason, you should always feed it digital inputs, and you should not bother buying any CD or DVD player for anything other than a transport. Any fancy D/A converters you buy are wasted, since the Denon forces you to redigitize the signal.

- I would agree that a better option than a 5 channel amp is a good 2 channel amp. Especially for a 65% music listener. During movies, I think you will find, as I have, the better 2 channel amplification is very noticeable during movies. Remember, Dolby Digital, etc. routes the music in the soundtrack to your front L and R channels. Your ears will thank you for putting the extra money into the two channel setup, and the following reasons should help convince you not to go 5 channel amp (unless you've done so already):
1. Better music during movies will involve you more than upping the amp to the surrounds. The great lion's share of movie audio still goes to your front speakers (I admit the center is included in this). I think your Denon is plenty to drive your rear speakers.
2. 3 channels of your purchase are wasted during 2 channel music playback.
3. Once you add a nice analog preamp for music playback (and trust me, the day is coming eventually), your 2 channel amp will be of very nice quality and match your system overall.

Of course a 5 channel amp could work also, no wrong way to go necessarily.