Amphion Xenon vs Usher 6381

Looking to upgrade and I'd here your thoughts on these speakers. Both have gotten great press. Thanks in advance.
jamesl

Showing 1 response by brucebraun

I like my Amphion Xenons in so many ways I cannot describe. They sound great anywhere in my home, which has hardwood floors. They sound detailed and full at lower listening levels, which my wife admires most. They reproduce simple jazz and voices with life-like detail. They reproduce a large soundstage. They are simply elegant and do not require much floor space. They perform well and sound great with my CJ tube amp.

My local audiophile dealer, Primus Audio Pleasure in Kansas City, recommended the Conrad Johnson MV60ES amp with 6550's (which I understand is going to be discontinued by CJ soon). Great amp for Xenons.

At the time, I did not have a lot of money for a preamp so Primus' Zach Doering suggested I could buy his older demonstrator model Camelot Uther DAC with the latest upgrades and volume control. The Uther turned-out to be very a functional and musical device:

1) I connect my Toshiba laptop iTunes library through a $149 HagUSB via digital coax.

2) I connect my old $99 Manavox DVD/CD player via a digital coax. We already owned the el cheapo Magnavox and I decided not to buy a new universal transport until this old one breaks down. CD's and DVD's sound great for $99.

3) I connect my digital cable box via toslink and listen to music channels, watch Austin City Limits, PBS concerts or movies with stereo (no surround sound for me).

Back in the late 1980's and early 90's, I owned uber-expesive Jeff Rowland amps/preamp and B&W 801's.

As you can tell, I am now a simpler man with simpler needs (translates to: I have kids and a wife). The Xenons were the most expensive part of my system. My new system cost much less and is more musical.