Amperex 6922 white labels with counterpoint SA 3

I am considering two Amperex white label6922 tubes for the phono (Matched) and one green label for the Line stage. Has anyone tried these on Counterpoint SA3 gear and was there a problem with noise on these tubes. Mike Elliot mentioned that this may be noisy. Right now I have Electro-Harmonic tubes which came with the unit and the bass and midrange is rather thin unless I boost the bass on my B&K PT3 Mk 2 pre. I am running my CD and phono through the Counterpoint which is hooked through my B&k to boost the bass. Believe it or not this combo sounds very good,. It has given new life to my vinyl collection. I now have the detail and air that the B&K lacks and the soundstage is twice as big. Other gear B&K Ref 4420 Adcom 600 CD Thorens TT with Goldring cartridge and Linn basic plus arm....

Eagleman
eagleman6722

Showing 1 response by john_tracy

As with ALL tubes to be used in a phono stage, they need to be screened for noise and microphonics. There is no gaurantee that such and such brand will be low noise. There is going to be some variation in every batch of tubes produced. Some manufacturers put out better product than others; still you need to screen all tubes first, more so for a phono stage. I have purchased a VTV (vacuumtube.com)Dual Triode Tester that makes quick work of this. One can check gain of each triode, check triode balance and listen to each section of the tube being tested. Another option is to use your phono stage to screen them. If purchasing by mail I would get assurance in advance that the tubes could be returned for a refund if they prove to be noisey or microphonic.