amperex 6922 pq white label tubes

I am somewhat new to tubes so I apologize if this is a dumb question.  I am looking to get some amperex pq white label tubes but the prices are confusing.  There are matched pairs on ebay for 129.00 but there is also a guy on audio asylum selling matched pairs for 235.00.  They are both made in the usa.  Are these the same tubes and the audio asylum guy is just overpriced.  I am not sure about buying on ebay is why I am asking.  thanks
kedoades

Showing 1 response by michelzay

I recently bought a couple of Tubes as Nos from Ebay, the experience was very unpleasant, even with a seller of 100% positive feedback.  Be aware, there are a lot of Russian tubes with stamps of famous brands, like Amperex, Siemens or Telefunken. The one at ebay that you mentioned seems to be one of those with perfect stamp. That's why I decided to buy  my tubes from (upscale) one of these site mentioned above.

As for 6922, it depends to your preamp or amp as to what feed them with. On my preamp (Einstein The tube mkII) I use two Telefunken for CD input which is kind of very neutral with some brightness. Amperex is more tuby sound and less neutral and use them on phono-pre input. Amperex has also a lot of variety, with construction made in Holland (very rare), England, Italy, India and ... Each has its own sound tonality.

Reading about tubes could be very useful, if you are like me and new on tube world:

http://soundstage.com/tubeor/tube1.htm

cheers...