Amp will not power off

Hey folks,

I have owned a Forte 1A class A 50 wpc SS amp for several years that has been working great until a few days ago.

I have used a Bryston BP26 preamp with it for a while until about a month ago when I bought a hybrid tube preamp (Black Ice Audio F360).

The F360 has been used quite frequently during this month.

A few days ago, a friend brought over a Melos tube preamp. We hooked things up and listened for a few hours.

After listening for the evening, I flipped the power switch on the Forte 1A to the off position but the LED stayed on and the amp did not power down. 

Waited a while. Then tried toggling the switch a few times but eventually had to just pull the plug from the power supply.

Anyone experience this? Hope it's nothing serious.

Thanks! 

hleeid

"

millercarbon

12,255 posts

Good on replacing the switch, as even though fused it’s no longer safe to have in the power circuit.

???! That so. Do tell."

Go Chuck:

Micro arcing for starters...

Look it up.

DeKay

Good on replacing the switch, as even though fused it's no longer safe to have in the power circuit.

+1 @dekay 

Although the defective power switch contacts stuck together, you will never know when it will decide to come loose, create arcing heat up the contacts, worst case scenario is burn out the surrounding wires/components or even catch fire! 

BTW, the power switch is a snap-in design with quick disconnect terminals, just take a few minutes to replace and no soldering required.

Thanks for the info on the Melos preamp. That was the 1st Melos preamp followed by many others. It was a great buy only costing about $1000 including moving coil phono. The GK1 brings back lots of good memories.

Melos was a pretty creative company with one of the 1st memory player CD players and super high power triode output tube amps of 400 watts mono blocks and 200 watts stereo.

OP, so you want to try a tube preamp?!  Okay, here is something for you to "chew" on, so to speak...  this Hovland HP-100 is in nice shape it appears; it does not include the phono section though if you need one...  

It's here: 

If a used gear scares you off, I don't blame you.  I've heard this and it is pretty darn good.  This is the Schiit Freya +, and as you can see, it has a tube driver stage in it.

Here it is: https://www.schiit.com/products/freya-1