amp via transformer 220 - 110 a good idea?

Hi, I'm wondering if connecting a ROTEL amp made for the US market (110V) to 220V via a standard step down transformer is a good idea. I read a lot about power supplies' having influence on sound quality but in this case it shouldn't probably make much of a difference in terms of noise whether you use a transformer or connect stuff directly to the outlet. I'm not an expert though so any sort of advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Maciek
malickia

Showing 1 response by pauly

Malickia. A transformer can work fine and actually give an improvement in sound. What you need to do is to get one that is totally over-spec. i.e. 10 times what your amp is going to require otherwise you’ll end up having the issues Semi describes.

An isolation transformer could drop your noise by 6db and if you have electronic savvy and wire your own, you could wire the secondaries so that you get balanced out.

Have a look at Bruce R’s power supply at http://www.transcendentsound.com/power_supply.htm. He’s is 110 to 110, but you could do something similar with a step down tranny.

Regards
Paul