Amp "timing" ?

I was reading someone raving about the impeccable "timing" of their high-end amp this morning.  I have heard this term tossed around several times recently in my dive back into highish-end audio. 

Can someone please explain what is meant by this term?  Is it snake-oil or confirmation bias?  I just don't understand how a human  can hear  a timing difference of a soundwave unless it's a 2nd+ order reflection.  

Thoughts?
dtximages
wolf_garcia
I was trapped into a "presentation" (in the late 80s maybe) at a stereo shop of why a Linn LP12 table, when compared to a Denon direct drive table, was more rhythmically accurate...it wasn't
Regardless of your opinion about the turntables, it easy to see how a turntable could have an effect on timing. An amplifier, not so much.
PS - A lot of reviewers call "accurate" what I call "bright hearing aids."

Don't get me wrong, please buy what makes music sound good for you, but be aware that a lot of these "golden eared" reviewers are in the "golden age" of their hearing and don't want to admit it.
Best,
E
I hear a difference a little like mapman was referring to. One slight addition from my perspective to add, is for me, speakers do more of that then an amplifier. so my Thiel 2.4’s and 1.2’s and Spica TC60’s have what I perceive as a better timing impact than my Vienna Mozart Grands. But amplifiers do contribute and take away from that experience.
+1 erik
When I go to a dealer or a audio show I cannot believe people like to hear the sound thin, metallic, and boosted high frequencies.
When I go to Benaroya the orchestra sounds nothing like the million dollar (Seriously. Okay. Technically more like a million two.) stereo at Definitive. Mine does.

But we are getting a little OT. Regarding amp timing, which do you guys think works better for timing? Amp timing belt? Or chain?

It’s a concept held onto by Linnies (fans of the Linn Sondek turntable), now applied to even electronics. Art Dudley and Herb Reichert apply the term in their amp and pre-amp reviews in Stereophile, claiming something about the electronics effects the perceived timing of the playing of musicians. It’s such a purely subjective construct, with no way to quantify the degree involved.

I’m sure most here have no problem with the idea of tables and speakers---components with moving parts---being able to effect timing, but how would a pre-amp or amp do that? Art seems to believe electronics can "hold onto" a note too long, or can effect the "attack" (leading edge of a transient), thus effecting the timing of music.

Even more subjective is this new idea being used, that of a component being able to reproduce the "intent" of a musician. Try to quantify THAT!