Amp sounds thin

I recently bought A Classe ca 200 amp.It is brand new looking inside and out, and seems in working order. But to me it sounds muted, dull, and uninvolving. It doesn't even sound as good as the thrift store amp its replacing A Yamaha built in 1974. Ive tried different speakers, interconnects and sources with little luck. I don't have another preamp so I cant rule out my preamp,but I can only say it sounded pretty good with my old amp. the only thing left I can think of is maybe it doesn't play well with existing equipment or I just don't like the sound of this perticular amp. My sources are a linn lp12 and a cary cd player, speakers B&W dm604, preamp PS audio 4.6 and cardas and straghtwire cables and interconnects. please help, I welcome any suggestions.
bheld2005

Showing 2 responses by bheld2005

I have not cleaned the connections,but the amp is not new and the pre amp is in active mode. This amp is very quiet so I may have been mistaking the noise of my old amp for music. After 30 years in construction my hearings not the best. I think Timrhu may be right, this amp is too polite for me. I perfer something more "in your face", something that rocks.
I believe Ive traced the problem to my low output MC cartridge.I will now shop for A step up transformer or a outboard phono preamp. Billy