Amp recommendations with a budget of $675 to mate with...

Hi All, 

I'm looking for some solid recommendations on power amps (used of course) with a max budget of $675 (maybe $700) that will sound great with Vandersteen 2C speakers and a Theta Miles CD Player (balanced version). Cabling is DH Labs Q-10 and Air Matrix. I also have custom Mogami (by 10-Audio.com) speaker cables & interconnects. The Mogami is a copper stranded cable, whereas the DH Labs is silver-coated copper stranded, so perhaps one type will be a better match in the end? 

I'm going to be using the Miles direct with the power amp with analog volume. I used to have a Miles (non-balanced version) some time ago and loved the sound as well, so I decided to get another (balanced version this time) and mate a power amp direct. The sound I am looking for is smooth, balanced sound. I like deep, defined bass that has impact when called for.  

I am planning on checking out a McIntosh MC-502 a local audio friend of mine is selling. I can take the Miles with me for a direct audition. If the 502 doesn't get it done, the only other amps I thought about right now is an Aragon 2004 mkII, McCormack DNA 0.5 or perhaps something like an Audio Refinement Multi-2. I read somewhere the Adcom GFA-5800 (not 5802) is a nice sounding unit. In fact, I think someone from Theta Digital mentioned the 5800 was especially good. However, I'm not certain I need 200wpc. As for power, I think anything in the 50-150wpc range is more than enough.

My system is in a 2nd bedroom that I use exclusively for my listening room. The main space is approx 12x14 and has a 5x5 non-tapered ceiling dormer area. The Vandys sound great in that space and I have them set-up according to the math in the owner's manual.  

As always, thanks for the input. 
JSB
jsbach1685

Showing 1 response by nutella

Schiit is launching their new Vidar amp soon, they said Q1 of 2017 so they are a little late but it should be out any time.  The reason I suggest this is because of their return policy.  Might be worth giving it a shot.  
I bought a Freya pre from them and ended up returning it with no issues. 
Of those you listed, I only have experience with Audio Refinement and wouldn't hesitate to recommend that as well,