Amp recommendation for AKG K1000's headphones?

I recently gave into temptation & picked up a pair of AKG K1000's. I've wanted a pair for ages & with their retirement there was no time like the present. Now comes the interesting part of finding an amp that pairs well with them :)

But before making the leap into uncharted territory [for me] I was curious what amps might be worth an audition? To level-set -- ideally this will become a dedicated headphone rig, so the scope of this decision doesn't need to account for synergy with my existing front-end gear.

Thanks in advance for your consideration.
bish

Showing 1 response by tom_hankins

Try one of the new Singlepower Audio Extreme amps that have just come out. There are lots of opions of it with the K1000 on www.head-fi.org. I have owned two amps from them (SDS and SDS-XLR) and they were both much better than any of the other high end headphone amps I had auditioned or owned. Try googleing Singlepower Supra or MPX3 or PPX3 and read some of the reviews of his other amps. The website is not very up to date but the owner Mikhal is very easy to work with if you give him a call.
If your looking for something that will also power speakers. I used the Unison for a while with the K1000 with good results. I also hear the First watt amps are very good with the K1000.