Amp/preamp suggestions in $3000-4000 range

Hi all,

I'm ready to upgrade my system and I'm going to start with the amp and preamp. I need suggestions.

My system is comprised of Kenwood L-07D and Oracle Alexandria turntables with Dynavector 10x5 and Benz Micro Glider cartridges, respectively, into a Unison Research Unico. The speakers are Vandersteen 2ce. I listen to a wide range of music from jazz and modern composition to beat up punk rock 45s, and everything in between.

I've had solid state amps most of my life and have tried some of the more humble all tube systems such as Antique Sound Labs and Jolida. I really love the sound of the Unico's hybrid design but it's not a great amp for the Vandersteens. Beyond that, I haven't much of an idea where to go. I prefer the idea of tube preamp and solid state amp but I'm not hell bent on it. I am open to an integrated machine or separate preamp and amp. Monoblocks are interesting as well. I'd like to keep the total price somewhere between 3-4K on the used market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rickk
rickk

Showing 4 responses by rickk

Thanks for the responses. What a lot of information.

I am glad to see a consensus regarding tube pre and solid state amp since that's where my thinking has been at with the Vandersteens.

WOW! That Blueberry preamp is beautiful. Have never heard of Juicy Music but both my wife and I are instantly in love with the design. I'll have to see what threads we have on here about it. Is this a robust preamp that will last me years or is it a finicky boutique offering that needs frequent servicing?

McCormack and Modwright are both companies I've already been reading up on. Very curious about the McCormack DNA-225.

The Butler is intriguing to me. I am not familiar with hybrid amplifiers but the idea sounds promising from the review I read on 6moons.

I forgot to mention that I like to bi-wire the Vandersteens. That's one way to narrow down my amp choices, I guess. I noticed the Counterpoint supports bi-wiring.
I've been reading all over the internet on this Blueberry Xtreme and I can't find many people with something bad to say about it. There's not a whole lot of talk about it here but it's wildly popular elsewhere.

I wish I could hear it but evidently they only do business across the web and I certainly don't know anyone who owns one.

I also really like the fact that it is geared towards vinyl.

Does anyone here have specific experience with solid state amps that mate well with the Blueberry and speakers like the Vandersteens?

Thanks for the PS Audio recommendation.
By way of update, I purchased a used McCormack DNA-225 here on audiogon and am now in the process of selling some of my other equipment to get the money together for a Blueberry Xtreme2 preamp. Thanks to everyone for the tremendous amount of input. It's taken me weeks of surfing and reading to get through all of the suggestions. Cheers, Rickk
Mariusz, are you saying that you think the Butler is a good amp to pair with the Blueberry? With both the Butler and the TAD 125 I'm unfamiliar with the hybrid amp design. Do these amps sound more solid state or more tube? If they are paired with a tube pre-amp are you likely to wind up with a really "tubed" sound?

At this point, I very much like the McCormack DNA-225, PS Audio 250 or 500, and maybe the Butler or the TAD 125.

rickk