Amp/preamp suggestions in $3000-4000 range

Hi all,

I'm ready to upgrade my system and I'm going to start with the amp and preamp. I need suggestions.

My system is comprised of Kenwood L-07D and Oracle Alexandria turntables with Dynavector 10x5 and Benz Micro Glider cartridges, respectively, into a Unison Research Unico. The speakers are Vandersteen 2ce. I listen to a wide range of music from jazz and modern composition to beat up punk rock 45s, and everything in between.

I've had solid state amps most of my life and have tried some of the more humble all tube systems such as Antique Sound Labs and Jolida. I really love the sound of the Unico's hybrid design but it's not a great amp for the Vandersteens. Beyond that, I haven't much of an idea where to go. I prefer the idea of tube preamp and solid state amp but I'm not hell bent on it. I am open to an integrated machine or separate preamp and amp. Monoblocks are interesting as well. I'd like to keep the total price somewhere between 3-4K on the used market.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rickk
rickk

Showing 1 response by electro77

Get a used Spectron Musician 3 and spend the rest on the best preamp you can find. If you've never heard a Spectron amp, prepare to be amazed! Once you have the amp, you can audition different preamps till you find a combo that sounds good to you.

Tomer