Amp help with a B.E.L. 1001 Mk.II

I purchased a B.E.L.1001 Mk.II (Brown Electronic Labs)along with a marantz 67SE cd player for $8.50 from my local thrift shop. Being that the cd player has volume output control I was able to connect it directly to the amp, with the amp connected to a pair of chrisman speakers. The amp an cd player sounded awesome and worked with no issues. I have never heard of or seen a B.E.L. amp. So any info on it would be great. I'm guessing the correct way to hook up the amp is with a pre-amp. What would be a nice pre-amp to go with the B.E.L. amp?
silentdarkness

Showing 2 responses by audiolui

What? You got a BEL MK II and a CD player for $8.50? Did you mean $850? If you bought it at $8.50, I would then offer to buy your BEL MKII at $20. :)

I used to own BEL MKII, to MKIII, to MKIV, and to MKV. They are awsome amps. If you can find another MKII, then you can run them as mono amps. Sound is way better as mono amps. Unfortunately, the designer Dick Brown passed away. I don't know if anyone out there continues his legendary work.

I would pick a tube preamp to go with any of the BEL amps. I had good result with CAT and CJ preamp.
Don't know about Luxman preamp. Luxman has nice reputation. I used to own a Luxman integrated with tubes that you could see through a window. That was nice sounding for budget system. If I were you, I would ask if they could loan you the preamp for a day or two so that you know if it works for you.

Keep the BEL amp. You can build a nice system around it.