Amp for Paradgim Studio 100

Just upgraded from Paradigm mini-monitors to Studio 100's. Now I'd like to get a great amp to match these great speakers. I have an Arcam 72T Cd player which is very revealing and forward which when combined with the metal tweeter can sound a bit bright at time. Been thinking of getting the Musical Fidelity A300cr amp or Odyssey monoblocks. Which one would be better? Looking for something to tame the 100's as well. Do these amps have a warm but detailed sound to them?
merlocpm2227

Showing 4 responses by ozfly

I think the Sunfire is a fine amp for movies / surround sound. It is not overly colored -- a bit warm maybe. It is very good with vocals (i.e., dialog). But, I would not recommend it over the Bryston for sheer audio enjoyment. The Brystons (I've owned the 3B-ST, 4B-ST and 7B-ST's) are far more detailed and pack a solid low end punch. I also believe the Brystons do a very nice job handling the harmonics -- there is more space to the music, especially in the midrange. You need to be a bit carful with matching (always true) since the Brystons will help bring the worst out of a bright speaker. That can be tamed with, for example, MIT speaker cables. The 20 yr warranty on the Bryston is great!
Click on (or copy to address line)to get some ideas in the five channel world that could apply: http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?aamps&1020531374&openusid&zzOzfly&4&&
For two channel, the Musical Fidelity does get great reviews! Another option is to go with the Sierra Whitney which can be configured as a stereo power amp or a differential mono amp (sounds a bit better in mono mode). You should be able to buy it new for under the $3,500 list and it is a first class amp (in stereo mode 120w into 8ohms and 240w into 4 ohms). You might be able to get it new on a trial basis. Very smooth high end and killer bass -- smooth over the whole range, actually. Start with one and add another later as the budget allows. Nothing listed on Audiogon right now, but I recall the used prices in the typical 55-65% range. You have lots of great options. Good luck.
Agree about the 100's. I failed to note that I own the 100 v2 and really enjoy them -- using a Sunfire amp (which provides lots of power) and that is a very nice combination, though a bit less detailed than I prefer. I owned lots of Brystons and they are also a very solid product with great sound and detail -- I do prefer the sound of the Sierra's, which is why I would recommend you give them a listen if that's within your price range.
With the version 2's, I haven't noticed any real brightness -- my understanding is that the v2's are a big improvement over the originals in overall smoothness of response. My room is pretty "padded" -- lots of carpet and acoustic tile in the ceiling -- so I could be missing brightness if it's there. I think the Bryston 4B-ST would be a good match (though, if you can swing it, I'd still opt for the Sierra if you are using this as a primary audio system).