Amp for B&W Sig 805

I'm looking for ideas on a solid state amp for my B&W Sig 805 speakers. I've had Classe Cap101 (100/ch integrated) and now a Krell 400xi (200w/ch integrated). I liked the Krell better than the Classe because of the additional power and better low-end control. I'm considering an amp (100 or 200 w/ch ??). I don't consider myself a tube amp guy but potentially I'd be looking for tube Pre. I currently use a Cary 303/200 as a CD player with copper wire everywhere.

Thanks, Al
adasilva

Showing 5 responses by adasilva

Update: I've demoed the new CJ CA200 (185w/ch) Control Amp; it's basically a $6500 single-end only integrated. While I liked the mid-highs I thought that the low end sounded lose and lacked control. I found (if you check CJ's web site for how this amp works) that at mid-low volumes the amp started to sound more two dimentional as if I was listening to a lower powered amp. I only liked this amp at higher volumes and at those volumes the lack of low-end control became very apparent. I'm going to try the McCormack DNA amps today (thanks Cmach).
Update2, went back and demoed the CJ CA200 again. It sounded better, perhaps the first time there was a lose connection or something (demoed it at the dealer). I must say that the second time listening to the CJ CA200 that I didn't dislike it. It's warm sounding, perhaps sweet, but still a $6500 (185w/ch) integrated.

I also listed to the Mccormack DNA-125 and DNA-225 with the Mccormack Pre. The sound was a touch warmer than the Krell 400xi. The Mccormack kind of reminded me of the CLasse amp I previously owned. However, I can't say that I like the Mccormack that much better than the Krell 400xi to make the switch.
Update 3, demoed the Bryston 4B SST (300w/ch) with a tube pre (VTL5.5) with the B&Ws. OK this setup did not lack power and dynamics; I did find the Bryston amp slightly on the dry side with the B&Ws. Again I can't say that I would drop the Krell 400xi and spend three times as much...

This dealer just happened to have a McIntosh MC275 (suggested above by Szutinglee) next to the Bryston.

As a non-tube person (I'd listened to lower price tube stuff in the past) I have to say I was a bit stunned by the MC275 tube amp.

I re-listened to several of my demo CDs and decided that with many of the Classical and Jazz CDs I really liked the sound of the MC275 as compared to the previous solid-state amps. OK so this tube amp has thrown a curve ball into my plans. I'm going to listen to the Jeff Rowland next.
The Krell 400xi was and is one of the best values in solid state integrated amps with 200w/ch. The 400xi has better bass definition than my current amp.

After much auditioning I decided on the Conrad Johnson 2500a (250w/ch) with a Manley tube preamp. The CJ amp & Manley preamp just sound so much better.

OK, so the Telefunken NOS tubes I put in the preamp helped. I feel that I have a little better resolution and detail with just enough tube smoothness.
Christobyl, perhaps you missed some of the thread but I did sell the 400XI and get the Conrad Johnson 2500a. I'm just sorry that I waited so long.

I did try some tube amps with the B&W Sigs and I did not think they worked well. I did not like the VTL and McIntosh amps with this speaker. I did not get to try some of the higher priced tube amps (>$5K)

I'm currently using a Manley tube preamp with Telefunken NOS tubes replacing the stock NOS tubes. Brendan at TubeWorld.com was a great help. It's a shame that more Agoners haven't tried the Manley preamp given it's price point and performance. Perhaps it's because Manley seems to focus on the Pro Audio market.

I feel that this preamp and amp combination yields more detail and resolution than the 400XI while having the soother, less harsh, high frequencies. I'm actually listening to music more with this new setup.