amp for b&w 804 "s" with htm4 "s" 200 watts....

those are my speakers... there has been a lot of talk about the amps making the speakers sound better or worse...to be honest i still do not understand how that is. So, i guess i would probably go with... mcintosh, krell, classe, bryson, or anthem... only because everyone agrees on those amps.... would i really be able to tell the difference? i don't know. so this will be used for mostly HOME THEATER... that being said... i am looking for three channels all solid state. i will run my rear channel off of another amp. So my questions are

1 so.... one three channel amp? or three mono amps? or one two channel and one mono?
2 best bang for the buck on what manufacturer?
3 i would love to find used to save some cash..

thank you for your time on this,
Baranowski
baranowski

Showing 1 response by lewinskih01

Any way you can audition any of these combinations? Many dealers carry B&W and Mc and Rotel.

I had B&W CM4 with Rotel RB1080 and liked them, then upgraded to 804S and hated it (100% music, though), then moved to Mc tubes. The 804S are too resolving for the RB1080 and let me hear the shortcomings in amplification.

Clearly you have different priorities in terms of HT. Can you appreaciate the difference in sound with a lesser amp? Only you can answer that.

I know for fact the Mc MC252 sounded a lot better than RB1080, as it should, considering price differences.