amp for B &W 801

bought new 801s. Was told I need a high power ss amp to run them well. True? Wanted to get tube monblocks instead. should I do tube or ss? What brands/models work best with my speaker?
johntinear

Showing 1 response by doug28450

As you have read in many responses you'll have trouble getting the 801 to "wake up" with a tube amp. They are a wild load on the amp. For that reason you need an amp that can handle the large impedence shifts. Amps that fit this bill are typically classified as "high current" amps. Visually they are BIG and HEAVY. So guess what, Levinson, Krell.....you get the idea. I have 801 Matrix Threes and the Levinson 332. Sounds fantastic. The big Levinson drives them very well. In critical comparisons of the Levinson and Krell you should find that the Levinson is a little more relaxed, refined and smoother with a wider deeper and more recessed soundstage than the Krell. The Krell will be more dynamic, forward and analytical. They are both good choices it just depends on what you want to hear. You will need top quality speaker cables with the 801s, so keep that in mind. Cables by Transparent or MIT are popular with this combination. The most important thing is to use your ears. If the dealers you are working with won't let you borrow the amps over a weekend it's time to walk.