Amp+Cords or New Amp, best bang for $$$

If I have ONLY $4k to spend on an amp, should I get a less expensive amp and put the rest to Power Cords or should I spend the whole enchilada on an amp. I currently have a BAT VK-500 with BAT PAK and PS Audio Lab Cables but am very curious about the Levinson 333. This isn't necessarily about my specific choices, but rather the wisdom of spending $1k or more on cables prior to upgrading an amp. I sometimes wonder if it isn't a lot like those hopped-up toyotas. Like many of you, I use Audiogon as my listenening room so I'm looking for some feed-back prior to "using my ears" to decide. FYI- Sonic Frontiers T3/P3, BAT Vk5i, Dynaudio Confidence 5, Kimber KCTG ICs and Cardas Golden Cross Speaker Cables.
metaphysics

Showing 1 response by sol322

Meta: Interesting to note that most comments are related to the PC. I think if any of the posters have comments on the current amp vs the Levinson might be useful for him. I have no experience with neither so I can not help here... A PC in my experience could improve (or worsen) a piece of equipment within it´s performance window but won´t be able to bridge a big gap in performance that two units of different quality level might have. Regards