Amp Config for B&W 802D's

I see a lot of discussion of Brand A vs Brand B in driving B&W 802D speakers. I'm trying to gather a bit different info.

I'm ready to change amps and there seems to be some different possibilities available for amp configurations and how the speakers respond. I'm interested in the pros and cons of each.

1st - a large stereo amp (400w/ch) wired direct.
2nd - a pair of mono amps (400w each) wired direct.
3rd - a pair of momo amps (400w each) bi-wired.
4th - a multi channel amp (200w mid/hi, 400w bass) for each speaker, or something close to that.

Does any one of the configurations have a significant advantage? Also, do balanced interconnects between the preamp and amp have an advantage over a good set of RCA's.

If you have some thoughts and care to share your expertise I would appreciate the info.

Thanks,
Paul
pkubica

Showing 3 responses by pkubica

I was trying to stay away from the typical one brand vs another, because you can get that info elsewhere on the forum. However, I am looking at several different possibilities.

- McIntosh MC402(400w/ch) or a pair of MC501's (500w/ch)
- Classe CA400/401(800w/ch@4 Ohm) or a pair of CAM400's(800w/ch@4 Ohm)
- Wyred4sound (Cullen) pair of SX-1000's (1000w/ch@4 Ohm) ICE amps
- Wyred4sound MultiChannel a pair of 250's (500w/ch@4 Ohm) and a pair of 500's (1000w/ch@4 Ohm) ICE amps

The first two are the more traditional (safe) approach, the last two are a bit "Out of the box". However, the multi ICE amp solution is about the same cost as the Mono's and has some interesting possibilities.

Any of the choices will be a good upgrade.
I greatly appreciate everyones comments on the amp configuration. I really don't change setups very often so I would rather put in a little extra time up front.

I am going with a bi-amp setup for the 802D's and giving the nod to the ICE amps. The Cullen Circuits multi-channel amp (Wyred4sound) seem to be the best fit and Rick will build what I want down to the binding posts. A five channel amp will provide a 250W and 500W for each of the 802D's and an extra 500W for the HTM2D center channel. Each channel has its own power supply and the output power doubles into 4 ohms.

It's a significant increase over my current amps and I'll do a followup after the amp comes in, gets some break in hours and I do some listening.

Paul
I've had some time to get the Wyred4sound amps installed, new interconnects and speaker cable and everything settled in. Also, I would recommend carefully cleaning all contacts with Deoxit. That stuff cleaned contact crud that I never knew I had... ugh!

The bottom line is the amps are amazing. The 802D's really wake up with the bi-amp setup and lots of power. They sound much better than even the dealer's demo room driven with Classe amps (not bi-amped). The high frequency amps have an 80Hz high pass filter, so you get good clean highs.

I can honestly say that in 40+ years of audio systems, this is the best sound that I've been able to achieve. I'm very pleased with the upgrade and thanks to everyone for your help and comments.

Paul