Amp and Preamp recommendations for Yamaha NS5000

Currently have SOTM 200 ultra -> denafrips terminator +dsp board -> Audio gd he9 pre amp -> dual bryston 4bsst -> NS5000.
I am loving the sound... just sounds incredible. But wonder about amp and pre amp upgrades down the road. Any thoughts on what might work well? These speakers are 87 db efficient.
So far thinking all pass labs amps + pre.

Ok with buying used. Would like to keep things under $20k if I can. Thanks.
smodtactical

Showing 9 responses by georgehifi

@georgehifi what would you recommend for YG Hailey 2.2s

Sorry Keith, never heard them.
Also from what I can find, no "independent load measurements" has ever been done on them to see what kind of amp would really be suitable.
They apparently dip into 3ohms, I'd like to see where? and for how long?, also if there's high negative phase angle also at that frequency, they can easily start to look like 2ohm or even 1ohm to the amp.
Safe bet to run an amp like the Gryphon Diablo into them or a cheaper Parasound Halo A21+ or Halo JC1's if you can afford them.

Cheers George 
He has not harassed you or anyone at all on this thread, he simply stated and questioned measurable fact about McIntosh transformer couple solid state amps.
Since when, does McIntosh have lightning fast dynamics, and a high damping factor ?
This is not harassing, even in the slightest way.
Why do you continue your bashing of McIntosh in this thread when McIntosh wasn’t even mentioned?  
It was By D2r something or other, and all his posts were deleted.
What do you think of the AHB2 with the NS5000?
From what I heard of the NS-5000, I'd go for an A/B solid state that has quite a bit of "high biased into Class-A" to keep those highs from becoming as Sound stage said also
"Yamahas took on an ever-so-slightly clinical presentation over their entire range, emphasizing the aspects of the tweeter that I have described below"
To me right up the Gryphon Diablo 120 or 300 or Pass Lass's XA series alley.

Cheers George

I need to ask a question. Since when, does Mcintosh have lightning fast dynamics, and a high damping factor ? None that I have heard, and I sold, and installed them, for years.
+1Those characteristics indeed do not apply to Mac's
Cheers George
And you, George, why are you always bashing Mac?
Because what Mr D said is correct, and is a measurable fact. And he did say "his friend loves it".
This is the sound that I’m referring to, from a "Sound Stage" review. When I say use an amp that is higher in Class-A bias than the Brystons, like the Gryphons or XA Pass Labs.
" With initial pairing to Halcro dM68 monos in my usual review system, the Yamahas took on an ever-so-slightly clinical presentation over their entire range, emphasizing the aspects of the tweeter that I have described below, rendering the treble particularly dry and out-of-character with the slightly warm tonality of the midrange and bass drivers."

Cheers George
I've heard those and they want a warmish but very controlled amp/s, suggest you look at, if you have the funds the Gryphon Diablo 120 or better 300.
https://gryphon-audio.dk/shop/integrated-amplifiers/gryphon-diablo-300-integrated-amplifier/

https://gryphon-audio.dk/shop/integrated-amplifiers/diablo-120/

or for something US  any of the XA version Pass Labs  

Cheers George
I am surprised that you would think a warmish amp is need with the NS5000.
I'm say this in comparison to what he uses now, dual bryston 4bsst - which are a very cool sounding amp/s.
The Gyrphons or XA Pass Labs will give just as controlled and detailed sound, but more musical, not as cool as the Brystons

Cheers George