Amazon just killed Tidal

Today Amazon released Amazon Music Unlimited HD streaming for $12.99 per month for  Amazon Prime members.

There is a free trial.

Streaming is in CD and High Rez quality!

50 million songs!

Just started my subscription. More info later.
don_c55
I’m a prime subscriber and most of my work is with AWS these days, so I am going to have to give this a whirl sometime soon.

I would attempt to run it on my Amazon Fire box and definitely on various ios devices I already own. I already use those with Plex to stream from my music library to my main system via lightning connector to usb to portable Chord Mojo DAC out to pre-amp line in (or straight to headphones) and that is already CD quality and sounds very good, where I spend 90+% of my serious listening time these days, , so expecting similar or better here depending on quality of source material.

If I can figure a way to run on my older Squeeze devices that I still normally use, that would be a bonus.

This definitely looks like a game changer that provides an easy path for most people who listen to music on iphones and other portable devices to upgrade their sound quality and plug into good old fashioned amps and speakers even if desired.

Could be the best thing that has happened in the last 20 years or so for the audiophile world and its vendors (except for those selling proprietary source devices).   Similar in magnitude potentially to hifi stereo records in the 50s and CDs in teh 80s. Hey its another 30 years since that now......just in time!

Even better if the others competing for online music streaming market like Apple and Spotify follow suit. Look for Tidal and other small providers to get purchased and integrated into these larger vendor platforms.
Definitely a step in the right direction.

Now let's get the fr***ing (re)mastering sorted out!

At the least give us all the option of compressed or non compressed downloads. Then we might finally see what digital is really capable of.

“Amazon just killed Tidal”

Not so fast.....i’ve signed up with Amazon HD Music. The HD selection is pretty scant. 

Now the positive, the SQ is excellent in 44.1kHz and high resolution (upto 96kHz). I have yet to come across anything beyond 96kHz resolution. If HD catalog grows like Tidal/Qobuz then for me Amazon will be a bargain at $12.99/monthly or $130/yearly.  
If it’s not Roon compatible or amazon doesn’t stream MQA, it’s a non-starter for me
 I use Plex and Squeeze in my house currently.  Also Plex for remote access.

I'd like to see Plex integrate.  If Roon integrates I might consider that.

Thing is I read Roon does not provide remote access which I use a lot so Plex will not go away until some better option for that comes along.   Hi Res Amazon streaming integrated with my own music library would be a very big +.