alternative power supply for Garrard 301

I have just acquired a refurbished Garrard 301. Intend to pair it with a 8 layered marine ply or baltic plinth ,or preferably a double layered slate plinth ( if I can find 2 pieces of 50mm slate slab). Tonearm will probably be 12" Reed 2P on a separate platform and matched with Miyajima shilabe. The only issue I have now is separate power supply. Off course I can always buy a Loricraft PSU 301 AR for GBP2500. Beside Loricraft PSU, I read about Wave Mechanics by
Martin Bastins used with Nottingham turntable but its seems a higher powered unit can be use for Garrard. However cant seems to find a source for it. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated
128x128audioblazer

Showing 10 responses by lewm

Dear GaryB, As far as I know, the group buy for Mark's controller has not "fizzled out". At least I hope not, because I am on the list. Perhaps you mean that he may not be adding anyone to the existing list. I got an email from Mark about a month ago indicating that he has (finally) made substantial progress.
Re your statement about a higher powered unit, it is true that the Garrard motor consumes 18W, I think. You will need to be sure that any outboard power controller is capable of that much output. For example the Garrard motor might strain the Walker Audio Precision Motor Controller (my personal favorite), which I think is limited to 15W. (Ask Lloyd Walker to be sure.) The Loricraft units are unnecessarily expensive for what they do, IMO, perhaps owing to the current exchange rate between pound and dollar.
When I said that the Loricraft units are expensive for what they do, I did not mean to imply that AC supplies are not extremely beneficial. In fact, I would not be without one. I think I will stop with that. Mark, as you know, I would be interested in one of your supplies if it were also suited to my Lenco, and especially if it were more universally adaptable to various motor types. Now you only need 9 more guys.
I read my own earlier post above, and I don't know what I was thinking. My own experience with lenco motor (similar to garrad) and mark kelly's teaching both tell me that controllers designed for ac synchronous motor (walker, vpi Sds, notts wave) are not effective with lenco and garrard. I was on the list for mark's controller, too. So far as I know, there is still hope. Otherwise, it's Loricraft or.......?
One of my unanswered questions is whether Mark's controller will work well with the Lenco motor, since, as far as I can tell, the Lenco motor is single-phase, whereas the Garrard motor is two-phase (judging from the presence of a putative phase-splitting capacitor on the AC supply to the Garrard motor). Altho both are induction type motors. Anyone care to hazard a guess? It should be possible to switch out the phase-splitting section of Mark's controller, push comes to shove. (I assume Mark's unit will allow bypass of the capacitor built onto the Garrard chassis, because it will split phase electronically and more accurately within.)
Gilles, Do you know the cost of that Sound Carrier controller? I am not certain why you refer to it as "American". It seems to be manufactured in the Czech Republic. Thanks for mentioning it here.
Palasr, The price list won't come up on my computer, perhaps it's due to my using a Mac with Safari.

Jcote, none of us knows any details about Mark's design, much less its features. The project dates to the origin of this thread, about 2 years and 4 months.
Wow! I misspoke. I totally forgot about this page (see URL) which does describe some specs and features for the Kelly Motor Controller:

http://visforvoltage.org/blog/kelly-controls-llc/10890

As you can see, the date is June, 2011. I know that Mark is a perfectionist and makes changes as he sees fit, so this should be taken as a ballpark idea.
Hold it. That seems to be a page I bookmarked long ago on the hope that it had something to do with Mark's work. But looking at the spec sheet, I think it is a product from another "Kelly". No way our MC will need to deliver "100A".
I've been using my Walker Audio Precision Motor Controller to supply AC to my Lenco. It seems to provide a more stable speed, compared to direct connection to the wall socket. I already owned it prior to placing a deposit on Mark's putative new unit, which should be superior in most ways to the Walker for driving Lenco and Garrard motors, if it ever sees the light of day.